Friday 5 January 2024

Opulence


Hi everyone, and a Happy New Year to all - hope everyone has had an enjoyable festive break. I’ve had a bit of a break from both blogging and crafting over the holiday period… I was away in Derbyshire for 12 days and although I took a limited crafting kit with me I didn’t really do anything with it. Santa was very kind and I have a new set of Kuretake Zig watercolour brush pens to play with, but I must admit I haven’t yet sat down to really get a grip of them so watch this space!!

As I have previously mentioned I am a member of Tracy Evans’ FB group where a lovely lady Ruth started up a monthly ATC swap in October. I didn’t have time to make any ATC’s for the December swap as I was too busy knocking out Christmas cards, but luckily she has given us an extension due to the holidays so I have been able to make a last minute entry for the December theme of “Opulence”.

Talking of last minute entries … for this set of ATC’s I was determined to go all in making an inroad into my snippets mountain so that I could participate in the fabulous festive challenge over at the Snippets Playground. After over 2 weeks without a care I have finally buckled down to my homework, diligently researched my snippets (and even taken a photo of them this time!) and am now running hell for leather towards the playground gates waving my completed project in the air before they clang shut tomorrow morning - phew!!  (I think I need a bit of strong refreshment from the tree house after all that!!)


The theme of “Opulence” suggested to me gold embossing, jewel colours, metallic paints, sparkle and gems, so I decided to go with gold embossed butterflies on plain black card stock and then matted onto gold card. I dug out a few snippets as per picture above (I wasn’t sure at this stage which gold card I would end up using!) , and off I went! Here’s the result.


I cut my larger snippet of black card into a few pieces and stamped and heat embossed my butterfly stamp three times for the ATC bases, and a further three times for the extra butterflies. The stamp I used is very large so I only cut my ATC bases to size after stamping. I actually had to cut into a new piece of black card as well as I had exhausted my plain black card snippets .. can you believe it?? (I still have enough black linen card stock snippets though to keep me going for the next millennium!!)  

I coloured the butterfly on each ATC base by painting with a different colour Posca Sparkle pen which I had dabbed onto an acrylic block, then I coloured the 3 spare butterflies in the same colours and fussy cut. I coloured the background circles and the fussy cut butterflies with a wash of Wink of Stella, then reached out a further couple of small snippets of white card, and painted a strip of each colour sparkle pen to match the butterfly wings. When dry I stamped a sentiment on each, cut out and attached, then cut 3 pieces each 3.5” x 2.5” from my gold glitter card and matted the ATC’s. Finally I attached the fussy cut butterflies to the base and bent their wings, and added some teeny gems.

Here they are in closeup.

1/3
2/3
3/3

... and an angled picture to really show the shine and dimension.


Stamps: AALL & Create #449 Through the Meadows, #533 Bring On the Sentiments;
Media: Versamark, WOW Gold Metallic regular embossing powder; Versafine Clair (Nocturne); Posca Sparkle pens (red, blue, purple); Wink of Stella;
Other: gems from my stash.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Birthstone Challenges #7 - Garnet and Amethyst



C.R.A.F.T. #703 - Anything Goes
Craft Rocket #110 - Use Embossing
Crafty Addicts #9 - Anything Goes
Snippets Playground #470 - Anything But Christmas
Triple B (January) - Birds, Blooms and/or Butterflies

That's all for today, but I will be back soon with a couple of Guest Designer spots.Take care, and thanks for visiting. Here's to a happy, healthy and creative 2024!
Hugs

13 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Fabulous Pauline, love the sparkle and stamping and the beautiful butterfly. Don't forget to have fun at the Playground.
Faith x

Sarn said...

WOW - very opulent indeed. LOVE these striking butterfly ATCs.

Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you up in the treehouse to revive you with strong refreshments later! xxx

crafty-stamper said...

WOW fabulous ATCs very opulent -love the butterflies and all the gold embossing.
Carol x

Thank you for joining us at The Crafty Addicts
Birthstone Challenges
Carol DT x

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

A fabulous card
Thank you for joining us at CRAFT Challenge Blog challenge.
Good luck Ginny DT for CRAFT Challenge Blog

Di said...

Wow Pauline - stunning ATCs! Opulent is a perfect description of them - gorgeous work.

Hugs

Di xx

Ink Outside The Box With Diane said...

Fabulous card! Beautiful design! Loving all the gold and that’s one great butterfly! Thanks for joining us at Krafty Chicks Challenge this past week for our Stamp theme :) Hope you join us again soon.
Diane - DT KCC

Donna said...

Gorgeous ATCs!

Melissa Craig said...

Oh wow! These are the true definition of an ATC. Gorgeous!! Thank you joining at Birthstone Challenge.

Darlene said...

WOW! These are GORGEOUS! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Triple B challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power

Laurie said...

These are really beautiful. I love the gold and how it stands out against the darker background color. And the butterflies look ready to fly off the page! Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge!

Darline Maes said...

heel mooie kaart, bedankt om mee te doen, groetjes Darline

Sheryl said...

Wow, what a fantastic collection.
Thank you so much for entering our challenge this week at CRAFT Challenge, looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Hugs Sheryl xx CRAFT DT

Conny said...

Really wonderful ATCs! Love your butterfly!
Thanks for joining us at ATC Around The World!

Hugs,
Conny