Friday 19 January 2024

Bee Happy


Hi everyone, this month’s Visible Image Facebook ATC swap has a very open theme, as it asks participants to choose their favourite theme from previous swaps, of which I believe there have been 33!!

I had an additional criterion I wanted to include, as I recently won a VI store voucher so I thought it only right I should use some of my new stash! There were lots of great themes to choose from, but  I eventually settled on “Twinkle” from November 2022  as I adore twinkly things and have previously made several cards and ATC’s using twinkly VI butterflies including ones for that challenge posted here. However this time I decided to get my twinkle on with my new VI bee stamps and dies. I made an ATC and card for my swap partner, plus 2 more ATC’s to trade separately - here they are.


I started by assembling various pieces of white card, and creating smoosh backgrounds using orange and yellow shades of Elements ink. I then cut three ATC bases each 3.25” x 2.25” and a card panel 14cm square. On both the ATC’s and card I stamped the hexagon background in opposite corners and I coloured them by painting with Posca sparkle pens which I had tapped onto an acrylic block.  

I  stamped the large bee and 3 medium bees onto various card snippets and heat embossed with clear EP, then coloured the bodies with yellow Stardust pen and the wings with Zig watercolour pen and a wash of Wink of Stella. I die cut the bees with the matching die set - the first time I have had matching dies for a stamp and I really like the effect! - and placed them on the cards to enable me to position the wording which I then stamped and heat embossed. On the ATC’s I attached the die cut bees directly to the background, and on the card I die cut a mesh background from my last snippet of pale gold card and placed under the large bee before attaching. Finally each piece was matted onto a black border, some gold faux spatters added to the background with Posca pen, and the card matted onto a 6” square card blank.

Here's a closeup of the card.


... and an angled picture to show the twinkly effect of the various sparkle pens I used for colouring.

... and finally a closeup of the ATC which I enclosed with the swap.

Stamps: Visible Image Bee Happy;
Media: Lavinia Elements inks (Sundance, Sahara, Russet Orange); Versafine Clair (Nocturne); Sakura Stardust pen (yellow); Posca sparkle pens (orange, yellow); Posca metallic pen (gold); Kuretake Zig watercolour brush pen; Wink of Stella;
Tools: Visible Image Bee Happy co-ordinating dies, Broken Mesh die.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Card:

Allsorts #763 - Make Your Own Background (2nd entry)
Incy Wincy (January) - New (2nd entry)
Moving Along With the Times #162 - New Craft Item (2nd entry)
My Time to Craft #525 - Something New In Your Stash
NBUS #58 - Use Your Never-Before-Used Schtuff
Path of Positivity #119 - Anything Goes Positive
Simon Says (Monday) - Sparkle and Shine (2nd entry)
We Love Stamping (January) - Something New (2nd entry)
Word Art Wednesday #631/632 - Anything Goes  (2nd entry)

ATC:

ATC’s Around the World #109 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Crafts Galore Encore #119 - Anything Goes
Everybody Art #549 Anything Goes
Lost Coast Portal to Creativity #181 - Anything Goes (4th entry)
Love to Craft #78 - Anything Goes
Love to Scrap #165 - Anything Goes
Mix It Up #69 - Anything Goes
Outlawz (January) - Anything Goes in a Card Free Zone (2nd entry)

I must say I'm very thrilled and happy with these craft goodies that I won, and hope I'll be back soon with  further makes.

Take care and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

23 comments:

brenda said...

A generic C&P comment as unable to type much (MS flare up) just to let you know I popped by to take a peek.

B x

Linby said...

This is a beautiful make, love the metallics you used too.
Thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts.

crafty-stamper said...

Beeutiful card and ATCs,great backgrounds,love the Bees and the mesh die-cut.
Carol x

Jenny L said...

Hi Pauline,
what a very fabulous card and you designing is beautifully inked and created.
Thank you for joining the MAWTT Challenge yet again.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L DT

Ellibelle said...

Love these new stamps Pauline and such beautiful cards/ATCs you made! The sparkle looks wonderful and I really should get one of the golden Posca pens.
Thanks so much for sharing again at Allsorts challenge!

Uschi said...

Wow, what a bee! So great and so real. Great coloring - I especially like the glitter effect. And you place your bee in a wonderful environment. I love this colored background paper as well as the honeycomb structure.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful card with the current Everybody Art Challenge.
Hugs Uschi

ScrappyHorses said...

Beautiful colors and textures and that die is perfect to showcase your lovely little bee! Thank you for sharing with us over at Worldwide Crafters and Colorists Challenge.
Katrina DT

ScrappyHorses said...

Such a perfect sentiment for starting the year off on a positive note! Beautiful ATC's and greeting card! Thanks for sharing with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

Chris said...

These are gorgeous Pauline, fabulous background to showcase the bee, beautiful colours and I love the sparkle from the coloured hexagons.
So pleased you chose to share your beautiful work at Fab'n' Funky.
Chris
x

Darnell said...

Congrats on the win, Pauline! You've done a brilliant job making that amazing bee the star of the show (as it should be!) and you have given it a warm honey of a background! Love the twinkly schparkle! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Happy New Year! Hugs, Darnell

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is really gorgeous Pauline and so uplifting. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at We Love Stamping.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

María said...

This card and ATCs are fabulous. That background is fantastic, I love the metallics tones on the hexagons and those bees are awesome, I love them. Thanks for joining us at My Time To Craft. Hugs, María.

Sarn said...

Congrats on your VI voucher win. LOVE this gorgeous bee card and the matching ATC trio. Great colouring and sparkle. The stamps and dies are brilliant. I don't own this set . . . but you've made me add it to my wish list! xxx

coldwaters2 said...

Absolutely gorgeous card and ATC's Pauline I love, love, that Bee and the background looks amazing
hugs
lorraine x

bockel24 said...

I´m so happy to be the lucky recipient of these beauties - thanks, Pauline!

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Great card and matching ATC's Pauline, the metallic honeycomb pattern really makes a lovely corner feature but I love those bees.
Lorraine

Laurie said...

I bee-lieve your bee card is adorable! Love the colors and the bee is the perfect centerpiece. I really like the mesh background die that you used as well. Great card and thanks for sharing it for the Lost Coast Design Challenge!

Mervi said...

Gorgeous BEE set! Love them all!
Thank you for sharing at We Love Stamping Challenge;-))m

Wendy L said...

Love anything BEES, it's gorgeous, thank you for joining us at the mawtt challenge

Conny said...

Wow.. Amazing card and ATCs! Really wonderful!
Thanks for joining us at ATC Around The World!

Hugs,
Conny

Sandra said...

Such cute ATC cards, love them!!
thanks for sharing in the Outlawz ATG in a card free zone challenge!!

Helen said...

Great designs and perfect colours.

Thanks for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.

Helen x
DT

Hi! I'm Shirley and said...

Very nice! Thank you for sharing with us at AG in a Card Free Zone Challenge on the Outlawz Challenges website. ---Shirley