Sunday 12 November 2023

Thinking of You


Hi everyone, today’s card has been made using another of my new Lavinia stamps … the exquisite Forest Leaf. Although it is part of Lavinia’s Christmas release, this one isn’t really specifically a Christmas stamp. I decided to try a simple embossed outline on a smooshed pastel background to show the delicacy and intricacy of the stamp. 

I made this into a “Thinking of You” card for three reasons - firstly that is this week’s challenge over at Simon Says Stamp, secondly because I felt it suited the image, and last but not least it seems fitting for me to use this sentiment today as it is the 8th anniversary of the date my dear dad passed away … I still miss him a lot and think of him often ❤️


I cut a piece of stamping card 6.5” x 4.5” and created a pastel smooshed background by daubing Distress Oxide inks onto a large acrylic block, spritzing with water and stamping onto the card. I needed to mask  one side of the acrylic block to achieve the correct shape, so after inking I removed the tape and reapplied clean tape, resulting in a wavy edge to the stamped background which I was ok with. I stamped the leaf using Versamark and heat embossed with detail white powder. I masked the white border and added some 2nd generation background word stamping in grey, then removed the masking tape and added a stamped grey sentiment. I applied Wink of Stella to the leaves to add sparkle, then matted the finished panel onto pearlescent charcoal linen card stock and a 7” x 5”  card blank. 

Here's an angled picture to show the sparkly leaves (not very successfully as the weather is so dull and rainy!!)


Stamps: Lavinia Forest Leaf, Keeping Faith; Uniko Simply Said Blocks II;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Spun Sugar, Shaded Lilac, Salvaged Latina); Versafine Clair (Morning Mist); Versamark; Detail White embossing powder; Wink of Stella.

Challenges I would like to enter: 

Crafts Galore Encore #117 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Crafty Calendar (November) - Anything Goes  (2nd entry)
Creative Fingers ##265 - Anything Goes
Less Is More #496 - Anything CAS Goes
Mix it Up #68 - Anything Goes (2nd entry) - TOP PICK
Simon Says (Monday) - Grunge It Up (2nd entry)
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Thinking of You
Through the Purple Haze #210 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
We Love 2 Create #10 - Anything Goes
Word Art Wednesday #621/622 - Anything Goes (3rd entry)

On reflection I don’t think this design really worked as well as I envisaged, as there isn’t enough contrast between  the stamp outline and the background, but hey it’s done now and at least I do like the soft and delicate look of it.  I’ll definitely be trying out a few different ideas with this gorgeous stamp. That’s all for today - take care and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

14 comments:

Kathyk said...

FAB make and a smashing colour combination

Kathyk

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous inky background and love the beautiful embossed stamp.Hope you don't mind me saying I have just made a card with a white embossed image over an inky background and I thought the same so before I threw it away I lightly went over the image with same colour distress ink and it made the image stand out more,but I love the pale dreamy result you have.
Carol x

Tammy said...

What a beautiful and soft card! Love the white embossing over the soft colors! Thanks for sharing with us at Less is More!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

So very delicate and very beautiful, Pauline. I love the colours mix and blending with the beautiful leaf stamp.
Faith x

coldwaters2 said...

A wonderful creation Pauline I do love the technique you have used for this amazing card it looks so soft and delicate. It is my mums birthday this week and I still feel the pain it never gets better does it
hugs
lorraine x

Linby said...

A beautiful and serene card.

brenda said...

A lovely delicate creation Pauline. Just been to Kate's blog using new Lavinia's, now you showcasing some so I'm off for a shop!

B x

Jules said...

Hi Pauline

Love the finished look of this .. .. you are definitely brilliant when it comes to combining different colours together.

A great soft and gentle looking card.

Love Jules xx

Lisa said...

Love the softness of this card. This is a wonderful Thinking of You for anyone.

Fiona said...

beautiful card Pauline, love the subtle colours you have used.

Thanks for sharing with us at Less is More.

Fi
x

Twórcze pasje Danki said...

Cute project. Thank you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.
Hugs
Danka
Twórcze pasje Danki {My Blog}

perfectly4med said...

Beautifully ethereal background, love the pastel shades and the layering of elements. Fab card. Please remember that we ask that you enter no more than four other challenges when joining us at Less is More.

Neil

SarahR said...

Oh how pretty - I love your colours and the effect you've achieved. Many thanks for joining in with us this month at Crafty Calendar Challenge - Sarah, DT.

A Shaw said...

Beautiful card... full of atmosphere. And my condolences for your loss. The ones who go before live on in our hearts.