Saturday 2 September 2023

Live Every Moment


Hi everyone, just a quick card from me today to “keep my hand in” as I’ve not been crafting ‘cos I haven’t been too well all week. I started on Monday with a terrible sore throat, sniffles and soon developed a hacking cough … I suspected it might be the dreaded lurgy, but I took a test which said no. I never left the house until yesterday afternoon, and then only for a quick stroll to the Post Office.  Feeling a bit better now though I'm still hacking and my sneezes are on the Richter Scale!!

In the meantime I’ve been rearranging my craft space, aka the dining room. I had supplies in a dining cupboard and a craft tote in the corner, but always had to run up and down stairs to bring down other frequently used items that resided in the study, plus there was a lot of unpacking/repacking of the densely packed cupboard and tote … I was really frustrated by it! My husband recently offered to give over his CD drawer unit for me to keep some stamps in while he relocated his CD collection to the study, and when I tried it out it worked really well, so I decided to get a proper grip of my stash. This week I have had two storage towers delivered which sit neatly in the corner of the dining room where the tote used to be, and have enabled me to bring nearly all my stash together arranged in a much tidier and more accessible way! I’m still getting used to it but I’m hoping it will be much easier from now on to get crafting if I just have a spare hour or so…. plus I’ve rediscovered some stash I had forgotten I had!! Best of all I was able to clear away after my latest crafting session in 5 minutes flat .. yippee!!

Here’s a quick card inspired by a Jo Rice tutorial.


I was quite fascinated by Jo’s technique of creating a smoosh panel on a masked piece of card using Zig watercolour brush pens scribbled onto acetate then spritzed. I don’t have any Zig pens (yet?) though I do have some cheap watercolour brush pens from The Works, so I thought I’d give it a go with those. I masked, scribbled and spritzed to create my watercolour panel in pink, orange and purple, then stamped Aurora as she seemed the most suitable fairy in my stash for this layout. I coloured her wings and the flowers using Sakura Stardust pens then overlaid that with Spectrum Noir clear sparkle pen, and highlighted her with white gel pen. I also coloured over the body of Aurora with my clear sparkle pen as Jo did in her video, though I have to admit I wasn’t too keen on the result. Jo uses Wink of Stella which I don’t have … I don’t know if the Spectrum Noir sparkle pen is the same but I felt the sparkle looked a bit too thick. 

Anyhoo I ploughed  on regardless. I stamped a sentiment from the fab new Pink Frog set I purchased while ordering some Pink Frog stamping card (as recommended by Tracy Evans), which I was able to collect in person last week as I discovered the warehouse of this family business is in my home town of Chesterfield 😀. I also stamped a birdie and dragonfly to fill a bit of space, added a bit of black fineliner doodling round my sentiment, and followed Jo’s technique of adding some trails of dots around my fairy, though I made mine sparkle! I finished by edging the piece with black marker and matting onto purple card stock and a 6” square card blank.

I wasn’t too displeased with how the water colouring turned out though I’m sure it would be much better with some decent pens! 

Stamps: Lavinia Aurora, Fairy Bugs, Bird Collection; Pink Frog Typewriter Sentiments;
Media: Watercolour brush pens from The Works; Versafine Clair (Nocturne); Sakura Stardust pens (pink, orange, purple); Spectrum Noir sparkle pen (clear); Posca sparkle pen (violet); gel pen (white).

Challenges I would like to enter:

Colour My Heart #564 - Use at least 3 Colours
(Raspberry grape, nectarine)

Double Trouble #146 - SomeThing, AnyThing, EveryThing
Happy Little Stampers: Watercolour (September) - Anything Goes with Watercolour
Krafty Chicks #679 - Anything Goes
Paper Dragonfly #21 - Anything Goes with option Include a Dragonfly
Sheepski #78 - Make It Feminine
Simon Says (Monday) - Sparkle and Shine
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Anything Goes
Sweet Stampin' - Doodling - TOP 3

Hope everyone is having a great weekend … last one before the kids go back to school and autumn draws on!! Take care and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

20 comments:

brenda said...

It's been doing the rounds Pauline and is a nasty, be warned theres a sting in the tail, that's taken me longer to get over than the initial. Pretty card.

B x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A lovely card using this technique Pauline, nice and flat for posting too.
It's always a lovely feeling to get your stash neat and tidy and easily accessible, it definitely helps with the creative flow when items are to hand. I've been wanting to do mine since Christmas last year but there never seems a good time to get stuck in as it would take a day or two as I have the small bedroom (and it's full!)
Have a great weekend.
Lorraine

Sarn said...

It's a wonderful thing to have an organised craft space - congrats on getting yours all sorted. Sorry to hear you have a nasty bug. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

LOVELY card. I like the smooshed panel and the pretty Lavinia stamping.

xxx

Melanie Hungerford said...

So pretty, love the background, that is such a wonderful technique and always produces such unique results. Gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble and at Krafty Chicks.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Hope you’re now feeling better, that virus has been lurking in one of my SiL's she's been left slightly deaf with it, she is hoping her hearing will return soon. Anyhow, another gorgeous card Pauline, love the mix of colours. As for your sorting your stamps? Come and do mine, if you're wanting something to do one day?
Faith x

Cindy Groh said...

I loved reading about how you found old stash that you’re excited to use. Your card is lovely. I hope you feel better soon.

Alyson Mayo said...

Very pretty with the inked panel down the centre. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble and Colour Dare :)

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Pauline I love your card the image and sentiment of perfection it has a magical look to it superb work
hugs
lolo x

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Pauline, you did a fantastic job on your watercolor blended background and placement of the beautiful fairy is perfect... love the colors. Your card is so magical. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble Color Dare.

Karen Letchworth said...

Wow, this is lovely, Pauline. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday and please join us again soon.
Karen L, Word Art Wednesday

Melissa Craig said...

Beautiful card. Love the color blending.
Thank for getting colorful with us at Color My Heart Color Dare.
~Melissa, DT Member
Come visit me at stampitscrapitshareit.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Very well done on the blended panel. It's a great way to show off your images. Thanks for sharing at Color Dare.

Suzanne Harkinson said...

I hope you are feeling better by the time you read this. Beautiful card you've created. Thanks for sharing at Double Trouble - Crazy Cousin Suzanne

Fiona said...

this is lovely Pauline, so subtle.

Thanks for the comment on my card, the stamp I used was MFT flowers in bloom and the doodling is free hand...no stamp. :)

Fi
x

Mrs.B said...

Hope you're feeling a lot better now Pauline.
This is a lovely card and I love the colours on the watercoloured panel, so pretty.
Avril xx

Debi said...

Love the soft colors with your bold image. Very pretty card. Thanks for sharing at Color Dare.

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous card with us at Sweet Stampin' for our 'Doodling' challenge. Hugs, Wends xoxo Sweet Stampin' DT

Vandra said...

I really love your smoosh panel. I is a great background for the all black stamped fairy/flower/dragonfly and bird images. Thanks for sharing with us at colour dare, I hope you can join us again soon.

Becca Yahrling said...

Fabulous image and your ink smooshing BG is so pretty. Thank you for sharing with us at Color Dare.

valscraftings said...

Thank you for joining us at Paper Dragonfly Creative Challenge! Val DT
https://paperdragonflycreativechallenges.blogspot.com/