Wednesday 23 August 2023

Through the Trees


This month’s Lavinia Creative Challenge is “Through the Trees” … I love trees generally and my Lavinia tree stamps in particular, so I felt inspired to try another reflection on water scene using my gel press to create the “reflections”.


I cut a piece of white stamping card 6  5/8” x 4 5/8” and created the background by blending Distress Oxide inks. I then created my horizon, hills and sun by blending black DOX using hill and moon masks, with grey DOX for the reflections. I stamped each tree and its reflection using Versafine Clair Nocturne, stamping the reflection first using my gel press then matching up the non-reflected image. I must confess that for the smaller background trees on the left, I just stamped the “reflection” as the trees were fairly symmetrical and it was just too tricky to line up a partial stamp on the reflected hill!! I then stamped a grassy bank in the  foreground and my birds, then highlighted the scene with Sakura Stardust pens including drawing some “ripples” on the water. Finally I matted simply onto black linen card stock and a 7” x 5” card blank. 

Here’s an angled picture to show the sparkle.


For the Lavinia Challenge I didn’t add a sentiment though I do have one in mind (non-Lavinia) which I have placed on the card for the photo below … does it look better with or without? I can’t decide!! 


To be honest I’m not really happy with this card as I felt the reflections look a bit messy and too dark. I have concluded this is due to me using a brand new and very juicy VFC inkpad, so I will remember to use my older drier one on the gel press next time! 

Stamps: Lavinia Spring Trees, Skeleton Tree Scene, Tree Scene, Grass, Silhouette Foliage Set, Lavender, Birds; sentiment - AALL & Create #340 Paint Your Dreams;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Black Soot, Hickory Smoke, Spiced Marmalade, Fossilized Amber); Versafine Clair (Nocturne); Sakura Stardust pens (yellow, clear);
Tools: Lavinia Hill masks; home made circle mask; gel press.

Challenges I would like to enter: 

Classic Design Challenge #8 2023 - Anything Goes (2nd entry) - DT FAVOURITE
DL.Art (August) - Anything Goes
Lavinia Creative Challenge (August) - Through the Trees (2nd entry)
Pammie’s Inky Pinkies #2333 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Paper Funday #56 - Anything Goes with option The Great Outdoors (2nd entry)
Sheepski #77 - Your Favourite Things (2nd entry) - TOP 3
(Trees, Distress Oxide inks)
Sisterhood of Crafters - Make a Scene - TOP SISTER
Try It on Tuesday - Let’s Go Outside (2nd entry) - TOP 5
We Love Stamping (August) - Masculine (2nd entry)
Word Art Wednesday #609/610 - Anything Goes (4th entry)

That’s all from me for today. Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

17 comments:

Sarn said...

WOW what an amazing card. Such lovely rich colours and a beautiful scene. You’ve totally nailed reflections xxx

brenda said...

A very atmospheric scene with a very Autumnal feel to it Pauline, many thanks for sharing at We Love Stamping challenge.

B x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A gorgeous card and reflection Pauline. I love the sentiment!
Faith x

Linby said...

Wow! This is amazing, love the colours and layout.

Diane said...

Wow, a stunningly gorgeous scene!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at The Sisterhood!
Diane TSH DT
{Nellies Nest}
{The Sisterhood}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

HilaryJane said...

I think you should be very happy with this card. It looks fabulous and the reflections look great to me. Thank you for sharing this beauty with us at we love stamping this month xx

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness your mirroring of this scene is incredible. Great stamps and fantastic card.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I'm back with my DT hat on Pauline and thrilled to see your wonderful card again. Thank you so much for joining us in our challenge at We Love Stamping. Good Luck and I hope you will join us in our next challenge.
Faith A DT

Donna Walls said...

Oh My, how absolutely wonderful this scene is! Thanks for playing along at the Paper Funday Challenge. We look forward to seeing more of your designs soon.
Donna xx
Paper Funday Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge

Shirley-Anne said...

Am commenting on this creation but be assured that I have perused quite a few of your posts and your creative talent is second to none .First I chose the sunflowers then the owl as my favorite but then your creations are so beautifully varied and I am glad I called in . Thanks for sharing your craft .

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A delightful scene, love the dramatic colours and atmosphere you have created.
Lorraine

stephanie said...

This is a beautiful card, wish I could see this being made.

Joan said...

A stunning stamped scene, love how you have done the reflections

Thank You For Joining In At Try It On Tuesday

Joan

Mrs.B said...

Nearly missed this one Pauline, it's a beautiful scene, brilliant work with the reflection.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday. Avril xx

Pia S said...

A magnificient scene of nature, love all the detail, so beautifully put together. Thanks for joining our challenge at Try it on Tuesday!

Helen said...

Beautiful scene, Pauline - such a clever design.

Thanks for joining us at the SheepSki Designs Blog Challenge.

Helen x
DT

sweetpea said...

Beautiful creation. Thanks for sharing it with us at the Classic Design Challenge Janet DT