Tuesday 7 March 2023

Tick Tock!


Hi everyone, on Sunday I was fortunate enough to have opportunity to drive down to Ruthin to visit the Lavinia shop for one of their Clockwork Carnival Open Days. I had a fantastic time, meeting the owner Tracy and watching the fab demos by Jo Rice and Sarah Anderson where I picked up some interesting tips and tricks. Of course, last but not least I bought me some new craft stash including a good selection of stamps from the new release. They are really quite different for me, but they have made me feel really inspired and I couldn’t wait to have a play.

I tried to get into the spirit of the event by dressing up .. .the team had asked people to go in Steampunk or Fantasy costumes if we fancied. I didn’t put together an outfit ahead of time as I wasn’t sure if I would attend, so on the day I pulled out my rarely worn Chrimbo “frock” coat and paired it with leather leggings, chunky lace up boots and a bit of dramatic lipstick and eyeliner!!  Although not strictly fancy dress it really put me in the mood, and while I was there Noni in the team lent me her hat to have my picture taken ❤️. So here are a couple of pics …

… Me in glam coat and Steampunk hat!


… Jo Rice mid-demo (yes that really is her under the black wig!!)


… Sarah Anderson with her dinky altered tins.


It truly was a fabulous event, and I was keen to get started with my new stamps plus my first ever metallic gilding polish. So here I am with a pair of ATC’s which I have called “Tick Tock!”.


A couple of the techniques (particularly the Distress oxide "woodgrain" effect) and the colour scheme on these were inspired by a tutorial Jo did to make an altered MDF heart.

I practiced the technique of swiping two Distress Oxide ink pads across the page to give a distressed woodgrain effect, using various snippets of white stamping card. I then cut the ones I liked best to 3.25” x 2.25”. Here's a closeup pf the individual ATC's. 

ATC 1 of 2

ATC 2 of 2

On  ATC 1  I stamped the focal clock using Pinecone Versafine Clair  then masked it and stamped a second smaller clock then masked that, and added various background 1st and 2nd generation texture and word stamping in brown, orange and grey. I then stamped various cogs in the same colours plus black. I removed the masks and watercoloured the clocks using a Distress Watercolor pencil and Distress Inks, and added highlights and spatters using watered down warm copper gilding polish. I stamped my sentiment onto an offcut of the “woodgrain” card, edged with distress ink and attached, then edged the finished piece with gilding polish before matting onto a standard ATC size piece of dark brown card stock.

I wasn’t very satisfied with how the gilding polish had covered the stamping nor with my spattering, so learning from that, on ATC 2 I heat embossed my focal clock. That gave a much better end result, so I returned to ATC 1, stamped another clock onto an offcut and heat embossed that too, then coloured, spattered, fussy cut and attached. I felt that looked quite a bit better, so I’m happy with my learning from this project and can’t wait to make more ATC’s along similar lines.

Here is an angled pic to show the sheen on the gilding polish - I absolutely love it!


Stamps: Lavinia Tick, Tock, Clock Set, Texture 1, Texture 2, Steampunk Script, Cog Set 2, Cog Set 3, Time Flies;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (List Shadow, Frayed Burlap, Vintage Photo); Distress Inks (Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo); Distress Watercolor Pencil (Rusty Hinge); Versafine Clair (Pinecone, Morning Mist, Summertime, Nocturne); Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Polish (Warm Copper).

Challenges I would like to enter:

Corrosive #3 2023 - Anything Goes
C.R.A.F.T. #669 - Not a Card
Mixed Media Lovers #23 - Anything Mixed Media With a Focal Point (ATC 2 of 2) - TOP 3
NBUS #48Use Your Never Before Used Schtuff
( mine is all the stamps, Vintage Photo DOX  and gilding polish)
Stamping Sensations (March)Anything Stamped (ATC 1 of 2)
We Love to Create #2 - Anything Mixed Media Goes
Word Art Wednesday #585/586 - Anything Goes (3rd entry)

So Carnival Time is over, but I think I'll be using these lovely stamps a lot more in future ... I love my flowers, trees and fairies but as they say a change is as good as a rest!!

Take care and thanks for looking in today.
Hugs,

16 comments:

Tracie said...

Both are beautiful ATC cards. Love the clockwork on both. Thanks for playing along with us at PIP Challenges.

Sarn said...

Well you really got into the spirit of the event didn't you!

Two super ATCs made with your new stamps and techniques.

Thanks for coming to play in the SNIPPETS PLAYGROUND. Come up to the Treehouse where we are serving cakes and hot chocolate to keep warm! xxx

Sheryl said...

You looked fantastic - a great outfit at short notice!
Your ATCs are fab too.Thank you so much for entering our challenge this week at CRAFT Challenge looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Hugs Sheryl CRAFT DT xx

Di said...

Caramba! What stunning work Pauline! Absolutely gorgeous ATCs - and fascinating to read how you made them. I think you've taken to Steam Punk like a duck to water! I wonder if the gilding polish is the same basically as gilding wax? I recently played with gilding wax and do love the effects one can get. And last, but not least, your outfit is just perfect. Great photo of you, obviously having a fun time.

Hugs
Di xx

Lorraine said...

Gorgeous photo - you look fab,
Lovely ATCs too
Lorraine x

brenda said...

Two super punky ATC's Pauline and luck you living so close to Lavinia, many thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations March challenge.

B x

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Wonderful project Thank you for joining us at CRAFT Challenge Blog challenge. Good luck Ginny DT for
CRAFT Challenge Blog

Curly said...

OMGoodness those ATC are amazing so much detail on such a small piece of card, I really love the Steampunk theme.
Thank you so much for joining us at CRAFT Challenge
Happy Crafting Bridget GDT

marlies said...

It's great what you have made!
So glad you joined Mixed Media Lovers!
Marlies, DT

Ellibelle said...

Looks like you had tons of fun at the event and you dressed fabulously for the occasion! Your ATC are simply stunning!

Darnell said...

What a great photo of you in your glam outfit, Pauline! Thank you for sharing the other photos, too. It looks like a ton of fun learning and playing! And it's evident by your amazing timepiece ATCs that you embraced all you learned! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love these Pauline! Yes it was a great event, I'll definitely try to get to the next one.
Your outfit was fabulous. Hugs, Chrisx

Creaine said...

So nice this! Thanks for participating in our challenge at Mixed Media Lovers and good luck with your entry.
Bye Ine DT

Rainey's Craft Room said...

These are stunning ATC's Pauline, love the theme and your designs.
Lorraine

Linby said...

Lovely ATCs with the new stamps, they look great.

jolanda creatief bijtje said...

very beautiful
Thank you for participating in our focal point challenge
until next time
greetings jolanda bongers
dt mixed media lovers