Friday 24 March 2023

Dramatic Dandelions


Hi everyone, today I would like to share the result of a little play session I had, experimenting with ways to create a bokeh effect background. I have long wanted to have a go at this technique and there are lots of Youtube videos for it; and I thought I could use my Lavinia “White Orbs” stencil for the different sized circles, but I wasn’t sure what  medium to use to ink the white circles.  I first tried Versamark and Perfect Pearls but found that the Perfect Pearls tended to stick to the inked background, so then I tried Brilliance Moonlight White pigment ink which worked better though it was not ideal - I tended to get a bit of pooling at the edges of the circles. I have read that Hero Arts Unicorn ink is the best white ink, but it is nigh impossible to get hold of in the UK right now, so I did my best with what I’ve got. I decided to go with a vibrant multi-coloured Distress Oxide background with strong silhouette stamping to make it pop, so that I can enter it into this month’s Lavinia Creative Challenge “Bursting With Colour”.  Here’s the result.


First I stamped and heat embossed the fairy, then I created a bright multi-coloured background by blending Distress Oxide inks and grounded the fairy with more DO and my Lavinia hill mask. I then added the bokeh effect using Brilliance Moonlight White ink brushed through the stencil, moving it around to create overlapping circles, and added further silhouette stamped dandelions and birds. I then added a spotlight using a circle mask and black DO, stamped a sentiment, and blended black DO round the edges. I added Sakura Stardust pen highlights to the fairy wings and dandelions, then edged the finished panel with gilding polish before matting onto black and teal card stock and a 7” square card blank. 

Here’s an angled picture to show the sparkle - it also shows a few other things such as why you shouldn't stamp on top of pigment ink bokeh circles!!.


I would be the first to admit that technique-wise this is a bit rough and ready, and I’ve learned a few things for future projects. I may try doing a bokeh background using Pan Pastels next time.

Stamps: Lavinia Josie, Fairy Dandelions, Dandelions, Bird Collection, Let Your Spirit Take Flight;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Squeezed Lemonade, Spiced Marmalade, Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers, Wilted Violet, Black Soot); Versafine Clair (Nocturne); Brilliance Moonlight White pigment ink; Sakura Stardust pen (clear); Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Polish (Warm Copper);
Tools: Lavinia White Orbs stencil; Lavinia Hills Acetate Masks.

Challenges I would like to enter:

A Gem of a Challenge #6 2023 - Anything Goes - WINNER & TOP 3
C.R.A.F.T. #672 - Anything Goes - TOP 3, STAR OF THE MONTH
Crafter’s Cafe #295 - Circles (2nd entry)
Happy Little Stampers: Stencils (March) - Anything Goes with a Stencil (2nd entry)
Lavinia Creative Challenge (March) - Bursting With Colour (5th entry)
Love to Craft #73 - Anything Goes
Path of Positivity #110 - Anything Goes Positive - TOP PICK & DT DELIGHT 
Word Art Wednesday #587/588 - Anything Goes (4th entry)

That’s all from me for today.  Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

11 comments:

Diane said...

Wow, a beautifully created scene, love all the pretty mix of colors too!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Stencil Fun!
Diane SF Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Stencil Fun}

ScrappyHorses said...

Wow, how lovely and magical is this beauty! I actually think the "rough" look adds to the mystique and never would have thought anything of it! The spotlight is perfect! Thanks so much for sharing some enchantment with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card love the Bokeh background and all the silhouette stamps
Carol x

Wendy L said...

I think it looks wonderful, xxx

Linby said...

Stunning use of colour and the bokeh effect. It makes for a really special card.

Ellibelle said...

It turned out so beautifully and a truly magical scene! It's been a while since I've done this technique. I used my Stampin Up craft ink pad with a homemade "stencil" made with punches. So fun! I really need to give it another try.

Sheryl said...

I always love the backgrounds you create Pauline and this one is just stunning!
Thank you so much for entering our challenge this week at CRAFT Challenge looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Hugs Sheryl CRAFT DT xx

Mrs.B said...

I think the background looks fabulous Pauline, colours are a stunning mix that work so swell with the black stamping.
Avril xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Love this! Your choice of colours for the background looks amazing - a super card.
Lorraine

brenda said...

How strange Pauline, I know I commented on this almost as soon as you posted it, but said it's a lovely old PB wood mounted which I love and pretty ATC's using it.

B x

cass said...

Great card. Thanks for joining us as The Crafter's Café this month for our Circles challenge.