Wednesday 16 November 2022

Squirrel Nutkin


Hi there, today I would like to show you a set of 3 ATC's I have made for a FB swap on the theme of "Autumn Colours". I had recently taken delivery of a few new Lavinia stamps to enable me to produce autumn themes, so I was able to bring them into play here.


I cut three pieces of white card each 3.25 x 2.25 inches, and created a background with autumnal shades of Distress oxide ink, and background stamped my wording. I stamped my Oak leaves, acorns and squirrels using a mix of Versafine and Versafine Clair, and coloured my acorns with Distress ink. I distressed a separate piece of card and then stamped my autumn words three times, and cut out the words "Hello Autumn" which I attached to each ATC. I finished by painting some watered-down Sakura sparkly ink onto my leaves to give them a shimmer whilst allowing the background autumn colours to show through, and matted each finished piece onto standard ATC size snippets of brown card stock..

Here is a close up of one of the ATC's.

Initially I just stamped my squirrel using Versafine in Vintage Sepia and gave him a black fineliner eye and mouth ... but I was really embarrassed by how flat and uninspiring he looked. As luck would have it, the same day I saw a fabulous example of how to colour the Lavinia squirrel posted by Karen Orme on FB, so I asked her how she did it. Obviously as I had already stamped this little guy I could only do so much to remediate him, but I did my best to make him look a bit more shaded and dimensional. I'm hoping my next effort will be much better - watch this space!!

Stamps: Lavinia Squirrel, Oak Leaves, Oak Leaf Flourish, Winter Spice;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Mowed Lawn, Rustic Wilderness); Distress Ink (Vintage Photo, Tea Dye); Versafine (Vintage Sepia); Versafine Clair (Pinecone, Summertime); Spectrum Noir Harmony dye ink (Bordeaux); Posca pen (white), pastel pencil (white); Sakura Stardust pen (clear).

Challenges I would like to enter:

A Gem of a Challenge #23 2022 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
ATC's With a Heart #122 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Classic Design Challenge #11 2022 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Crafts Galore Encore (November) - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Crafty Animals #67 - Anything Goes With Animals
Crafty Catz #614 - Anything Goes - TOP 3
Creatalicious #247 - Anything Goes
Creative Crafters #58 - Anything Goes
Dare 2B Artzy (November) - Non-Birthday (2nd entry)
Double Trouble #125 - Thing 1: Use Orange, Yellow and Green


Dream Valley #282 - Anything Goes
Hero Arts (November) - The Great Outdoors
Paper Funday #47 - Anything Goes with option Colours of Autumn
QKR Stampede #456 - Anything Goes
Word Art Wednesday #269/270 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)

This is quite likely the last of my few autumn projects as winter is nearly upon us .. I believe the weather is meant to be turning cold on Friday so it will be time for winter woolies!!

Take care, and thanks for dropping by.
Hugs,

20 comments:

Sarn said...

Very cute autumnal ATCs.

brenda said...

I think you've been watching our every growing population of squirrels Pauline, they've been so busy collecting acorns and 'conkers' across the garden and paddocks for weeks. Then all of a sudden disappeared so figure they think they've got enough stash for the winer now.

A super trio of ATC's.

B x

Aunty Sue said...

love it great autumn design and thanks for sharing at Crafty Catz this week

Elizabeth Hart said...

Love this squirre; card - gosh I wish they would come to my house and get the acorn -- its like a skating rinks out with them. Thanks so very much for joining us this time at the Creatalicious Challenge

Glittertastic said...

Love these ATCs - so cute! I've got a tribe of squirrels at the end of my garden and they are fascinating to watch!

Thank you for sharing your creation in our challenge at Dream Valley.
Sharon – Dream Valley Challenge Designer
http://glittertastic.blogspot.com/ - Stop by and see me!!!

Donna Walls said...

Great ATC's! I know Lavinia is extremely popular at the moment and I do like this little squirrel. I'm excited to see some Lavinia Christmas images soon. Thanks for playing along with us at The Paper Funday Challenge.
Donna xx
The Paper Funday Challenge
The Inspiration Station Challenge

Donna Scholz said...

Such a lovely card, Pauline! Great blending to create the focal point on the squirrel. Thank you for sharing your card with us at Double Trouble for our color and sunflower themed challenge!!! -Donna

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Fabulous colouring of the squirrel and the amazing background.
Faith x

Michele said...

what a gorgeous ATC! xo

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Beautiful blended background for your adorable squirrels... beautiful fall card. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble Color Theory.

Kellianne said...

Your background shading turned out nicely! And I think your effort at adding dimension to your squirrel is great. Thanks for playing along with us at double Trouble :)

Karen Letchworth said...

Hi Pauline:
What a wonderful Autumn card, and the image is SO sweet. You've also created an awesome background here. Thanks SO much for sharing your wonderful art with us at Word Art Wednesday. I appreciate it very much and hope that you'll stop by again soon. Have a blessed week.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Conny said...

Wow.. your ATCs are amazing! So wonderful! Love the cute squirrels!
Thanks for joining us at ATCs mit Herz!

Hugs,
Conny

BreAnn L. said...

Love this!!

Melanie R said...

Great card - so creative! Thank you for playing along with us at Double Trouble #125.

Nikki said...

Thanks for playing along with Paper Funday Challenges.

Sandra Wright. said...

Love your Atc, I love Squirrels and they antics they get up to. Super fast too.
Thank you for joining us at Atcs with a Heart. x

Jennifer Kotas said...

Such a lovely card! I love the inked background and the squirrel is wonderful. Thank you for entering the Stay Crafty Challenge!

Pamela Duncan said...

Nice background work. Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Pam, DT



ILEANA ARTUFFO said...

Wonderful creation!Beautiful background!
Thank-you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge November "ATG".
Ileanaxx