Tuesday 29 November 2022

Distress Birthday Tag


Hi there, today I would like to show you something a bit different for me … a birthday tag.  I never make tags normally, but I was inspired to make one when I saw it is this month’s theme at Country View Challenges. Once I started to look around I spotted a couple of other tag and non-card challenges, so it just had to be done!  It also gave me the opportunity to play some more with my new wildflower dies, so basically it was a win-win situation.  So here is what I believe is my first ever “distress” tag.


I cut a rectangle of kraft card 13cm x 6.5cm, and trimmed the corners to make a tag shape. I then cut a slightly smaller rectangle of white card, created a “smoosh” background with three colours of Distress Oxide, and background stamped my script using Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  I distressed the edges of the coloured panel with my distressing tool, and sponged with more Vintage Photo DI to give an aged look. I then die cut my wildflowers and foliage from white card, and coloured them by painting with various Distress Oxides before attaching to the coloured panel. I wrapped some jute twine around the flowers and attached a stamped mini greeting tag. Finally I punched a hole in the base kraft tag, stamped some swirls, die cut and attached a reinforcement ring round the hole, then attached the flower panel and finished off with a jute twine tie.
Here's a closeup.


Stamps: Crafty Individuals CI-085 (script) and CI-182 (swirl); LotV Mini tags;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Salvaged Patina, Twisted Citron, Speckled Egg, Mowed Lawn, Rustic Wilderness, Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Frayed Burlap, Kitsch Flamingo, Picked Raspberry); Distress Ink (Vintage Photo);
Tools: Wildflower dies - unbranded (from Amazon); Magnolia Doohickeys Tilda Vcintage Tag (hole reinforcement); Tim Holtz distressing tool.

Challenges I would like to enter: 

Colour Crazy #47 - Anything Goes With Colouring
Crafter’s Cafe #291 - Use Dies and/or Punches (3rd entry)
DL.Art (November) - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Dream Valley #283 - Lots of Layers
Hero Arts (November) - The Great Outdoors (3rd entry)
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Not a Card (3rd entry)
Word Art Wednesday #571572 - Anything Goes (4th entry)

I’m really in love with my new flower dies, and am really thrilled with how this tag turned out. To be honest though I can't see me becoming a regular tag maker … if I want to go small I tend to turn to my ATC’s 😀

Thanks very much for taking the time to visit my blog .. take care.
Hugs,

10 comments:

Sarn said...

This tag is just GORGEOUS. So vibrant - and you're making great use of your new flower dies. xxx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! How very beautiful, those flowers are the perfect colour match for the background. Love it Pauline.
Faith x

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful tag! I love the distressed look and the flowers are so pretty, the colours and shading are so pretty 😊. Thanks so much for joining our Tags Only challenge at Country View Challenges and sending you happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

Sue said...

Such a lovely tag Pauline, so pretty! Thanks so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts an have a very happy week, Sue xx

Evelyn Walter said...

This tag is beautiful, Pauline! You definitely should do tags more!
Thank you for joining our November challenge at Country View Challenges!
Evelyn xx

Karen Letchworth said...

oh my, Pauline...what a stunning tag with so much texture and color. Thanks SO much for sharing your wonderful art with us at Word Art Wednesday. May God bless you, and please stop by again soon.
Karen

Jennifer Kotas said...

Beautiful tag! I love the flowers. Thanks for joining the Stay Crafty Challenge!

Lisa said...

Super cute tag. Love the colors, love the die cuts. I am like you I don't normally make tags but this one is just gorgeous.

Linby said...

A really pretty tag with a shabby chic feel to it.

Bonnie Lynn said...

Beautiful birthday tag! I love the soft colors you used with the die cuts. Thanks for joining us this week at Pammie's Inky Pinkies. Hope to see you again. Bonnie DT