Tuesday 12 July 2022

A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes


Hi everyone,

On Sunday I was fortunate enough to be able to go to one of the Lavinia Open Days they had last weekend as part of their Fairy Fest craft festival. I had a brilliant time wandering around the magical shop, dropping in on one or two demos, and meeting members of the team including Tracy and Jo Rice. I had a good old crafty spend while I was there, so naturally I wanted to have a play with some of my new supplies as soon as possible.

My favourite stamp of the new release is the lovely Wild Summer Flower, so I decided to make a 7" x 5" card where the design was based on this Jo Rice tutorial, but with some adjustments to suit my stash. Jo made her card using pan pastels but I don't have a collection of those, so I made my background with Distress Oxides. I actually watched the tutorial last week, and when I came to link it up for this post I realised I had made my card a lot busier than Jo's by introducing various other flowers as well as my birds and bee!! I also had to introduce my signature "twist" which is lots of Sakura sparkle ...  so here it is.


I created my background sky by blending Distress Oxide inks, then I used a circle mask to create my sun - blending the ink very gently to create a subtle hazy outline.  I stamped several Wild Summer Flowers using Versafine Clair Nocturne, then stamped several leaf sprays 1st and 2nd generation using my new VFC's in Golden Meadow and Verdant. I filled some gaps in the scene with my existing dandelion stamps inked with Versafine Imperial Purple, then stamped my birds and bee.   I coloured the flower heads and bee and highlighted the sun and other flowers using Sakura sparkle pens, then added some pastel pencil wispy streaks in the sky and a little white Posca pen spatter. I matted the panel simply on black linen card stock, and finished off with a Tim Holtz sticker sentiment.

As always there is more sparkle on this card than a standard picture shows, so here is an angled pic. Despite not having a collection of pan pastels, I did actually buy one on Sunday, which was the fine pearl white for making mist and moon auras. I tried it on the first attempt at this card but it didn't work very well - I think I need more practice, plus I was a tad concerned when I opened the package and spotted the warning that the dust is harmful. Whether I will continue to use it, time will tell.


Stamps: Lavinia Wild Summer Flower, Leaf Spray, Fairy Dandelions, Dandelions, Birds, Bee Miniature;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Squeezed Lemonade, Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Seedless Preserves); Versafine Clair (Nocturne, Golden Meadow, Verdant); Versafine (Imperial Purple); Sakura Gelly Roll (Stardust) pens (Purple, Gold, Copper, Clear); pastel pencil (white); Posca Pen (white); 
Other: Tim Holtz "small Talk" sentiment sticker.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Ally's Angels #60 - Anything Goes
As You Like It - Favourite Warm or Cool Colours (and why) (2nd entry)
(I love warm colours at this time of year as they give cards such a summery feel)
Colour Crazy #27 2022 - Anything Goes With Colouring
Craft Rocket #94 - Summertime
Dream Valley #273 - All Occasions (2nd entry)
Everybody Art #518 - Sunny Greetings
Fab 'n' Funky #555 - Whatever the Weather
Simon Says (Monday) - Fabulous Florals
Stamping Sensations (July) - Summer Flowers (2nd entry)
Use Your Stuff #452 - Mood Board
(I saw yellow/orange/pinky purple colours, flowers and a hazy sky)

We Love Stamping (July) - Anything Stamped with option of Hot Sunny Colours
Word Art Wednesday #551/552 - Anything Goes (3rd entry)


I would also like to share today a very quick ATC I made whilst at my desk.


This was prompted because I was making a card which went wrong, so I rescued and recycled a panel that I had stencilled with DO's and my new Lavinia stencil. I then stamped a little wildflower meadow and sentiment onto the background, matted onto standard ATC-sized black linen card and finished off with Sakura  sparkle highlights, a heart shaped gem and sticker sentiment - pretty quick and easy!

Stamps: unbranded, free with craft magazine;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Mowed lawn, Rustic Wilderness); Versafine Clair (Nocturne, Rainforest);
Tools: Lavinia stencil - Divine;
Other: Tim Holtz "Small Talk" sticker.

Challenges I would like to enter:

A Tiny Craft #10 - All Things Tim (3rd entry)
Crafty Catz #603 - Anything Goes
Krafty Chicks #619 - Stamp Act
Through the Craft Room Door - Anything Goes (3rd entry)

Before I go, here are a few pics from my trip to Lavinia HQ on Sunday ... my first visit, but hopefully not my last!










Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

26 comments:

Linby said...

A beautiful card and the angled shot really shows off the card to show the effect. Lovely zingy ATC too.
Thanks for taking part at We Love Stamping challenge.

dj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie Hungerford said...

Your ATC is wonderful, I love the background and that is such a nice shade of green. Thank you for sharing with us at Krafty Chicks!

Sarn said...

Beautiful ethereal card made with the new stamps. Love that background and the sparkle.

Really like black and green together- so the pretty ATC really works for me!

Looks like you had a fun day out at Lavinia Stamps too. Great pix (or should that be “great pixies”? LOL! X

Gail said...

This is a beautiful make - Thanks for dropping it off at WAW I wish you the best in the draw!

HilaryJane said...

Lucky you getting to visit Lavinia stamps. I am glad you enjoyed it and what a fabulous card you have made. Love the ink blending and the soft background stamping. I can imagine the sparkle. Thanks for sharing it with us at we love stamping. Lovely ATC too, I always love anything green! xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A gorgeous card and beautiful blended colours too. You can really see the sparkle on the dandelion stamps in the angled photo.
Lorraine

Chrissy said...

Beautiful warm colours and gorgeous card..
Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge this fortnight at As You Like It..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Karen Letchworth said...

What a beautiful card, Pauline. The colors are stunning. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful art with us at Word Art Wednesday. I hope you'll visit us again soon.

brenda said...

You lucky girl getting to play with Fairies first hand, so please you got there. I'm hoping my package might arrive today although I'm not convinced I'm up to sitting to craft yet, we'll see.

Lovely work with your new goodies as well, colours on the first are lush, thanks for linking up at We Love Stamping and Stamping Sensations challenges.

B x

Billie A said...

Awesome cards. I love the yellow/orange/pink background and the awesome silhouette of flowers. The white dots and splatters look awesome and just a beautiful scene. So glad you shared over at Make My Monday, Colour Crazy. Your second card is awesome love the stenciled background and the awesome foliage. Thanks for sharing over at Crafty Catz.

papierelle said...

Your card is exceptionally beautiful and I'm very thrilled.

Pat said...

Lovely card, beautiful colours, thanks for sharing at Fab'n'Funky.

Pat xx

dj said...

What a dreamy card...beautifully blended background!! Way to go shopping your stash...thanks for joining the fun and playing along with our Blending In challene over at SOS!!

Elizabeth Hart said...

Such Fabulous rich color tones!! Thanks so very much for joining us this time at the Creative Fingers Challenge!

tilly said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BACKGROUND YOU HAVE CREATED FOR YOUR GREAT STAMPS, LOVELY atc AS WELL, LOVING THEM, Oppppss sorry, thanks for sharing at Crafty Catz challenge, Tilly

Uschi said...

Beautiful stamps in front of an amazing background. I can well and truely notice the sunset. In addition the birds and the bee are an amazing eye-catcher. Very gorgeous card!
Thanks a lot for entering the EAC challenge.
Hugs Uschi

Haven_mom4 said...

What a magical crafty shop. So glad you had the chance to pop in and create. I love the ombre technique, vibrant and beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us at Use Your Stuff

SmilynStef said...

awesome cards ... I am lovin' the colors you chose for your background ... so very glad you got BLEND-y with us at Shopping Our Stash.

Jackie Beers said...

Your shading of the background on this card is beautiful. As are all of the other elements. This is frame worthy in my opinion! And your bit of sparkle adds to the overall wonderfully. thank you for joining our MMM CHallenge.

Zw@@n said...

Wow, beautiful card. I love the warm colours and the scene. Thank you for joining us at As You Like It. xx Wilma

Anna said...

Sorry that my admiration was a little late-was dealing with some family stuff this week. In any case...What an amazing card. I love the blended background and all of the beautiful details you have included in the card. Truly stunning! Thank you for joining us for this challenge at Shopping Our Stash and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Anna, Design Team

Wendy L said...

I love everything about your card, thank you for joining us at the MAWTT challenge xx

Ellibelle said...

How lucky you are to be able to take a trip to the Lavinia shop! It looks magical there! And it looks like you've picked out some beauties too! Love your card with the pretty colors for this wonderful summer meadow scene! And your ATC is just as beautiful! It would look stunning framed on a white background for a card or inside a picture frame.
Thank you so much for joining in at my Crafty Wednesday challenge this month too!
Ellie
Ellibelle's Corner

Christin said...

Wow, such a beautiful card! I love the colours you choose and the sunset summerfeeling of your card! Thanks for sharing at EAC! Christin

Mrs.B said...

A lovely card with your new stamps and how lucky are you to visit the Lavinia shop.
Thanks for joining in our Summer Blooms challenge at Stamping Sensations.
Avril x