Sunday 10 October 2021

All Good Things are Wild and Free


Hi everyone,

I had another inky playtime session to do a bit more experimenting with my new DO inks. My colour scheme this time  inspired by the current Less Is More challenge, and I wanted to try making a simple card involving inks blended in an irregular shape (in this case my Spellbinders peony die) overstamped with silhouette images.


Initially I tried doing a one layer card, and cut myself a DIY stencil using some acetate in my stash. This didn’t work out too well for 2 reasons … my card base wasn’t really the best for blending, plus when I activated the ink with water spritzing the card buckled! So … I then went with die cutting a shape using Neenah smooth cardstock and blending my inks onto that, so I could the affix to my card blank. I am still experimenting with colours and found my purple DO (Seedless Preserves) was not as deep a shade as I anticipated, but as luck would have it I do also have a few older original DI’s including Dusty Concord, so I smooshed some of that on top to add a bit more depth and interest. My new stamp positioner made it easy to stamp my focal image onto the inked panel and then remove it to stamp again directly onto the card blank so I got a crisper image where the 2 surfaces meet. .. I really am loving my Press to Impress 😀

Finally I did my first experiment with splattering paint onto the finished piece. I wanted gold spatters so experimented with making a little puddle of paint on acetate using my Perfect Pearls and a little water, which I then spattered onto my inky background and card blank with a small paintbrush. I’m not too displeased with how it looks, though I wonder if acrylic paint (which I don’t currently have) would be better .. any advice much appreciated!

Stamps: flowers - Unity Stamps “Insightful Meadows”; dragonfly and sentiment - Summer Meadow set free with craft magazine;
Media: Tim Holtz DO inks (Fossilized Amber, Shaded Lilac, Seedless Preserves), and Distress Ink (Dusty Concord); Perfect Pearls “Perfect Gold”;
Tools: Spellbinders Nestabilities “Peony” die.

Challenges I would like to enter:

C.R.A.F.T. #613 - Anything Goes
Creative Moments #224 - Anything Goes
DRU #178 - Anything Goes using a die brand sold by DRU
(I used Spellbinders)
Happy Little Stampers (Dies): October - Anything Goes with Dies
Less Is More #453 - Purple and Yellow
Simon Says … - Happy World Card Making Day (4th entry)


That’s me done for today. Thanks for visiting, and hope you have a good weekend whatever you’re doing
Hugs,

8 comments:

JulieP said...

Such a beautiful mix of colors! I'm really loving the color of your splatters. Thanks so much for playing along with us at the HLS die cut challenge this month.

brenda said...

Striking use of colour Pauline. I struggle with one layer as well. very hit and miss with cardstock.

B x

Kathyk said...

Very nice, like the way you graduated your colour from the yellow to the purple too

Kathyk

Neets B said...

I adore this card, the combination of that gorgeous blend, the splatters and silhouettes is lovely. At Less is More we have a maximum limit of combined challenges of 5, including ours which, unfortunately, on this occasion you have exceeded. Thanks so much for sharing with us at at Less is More and please do join us again, Anita x

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Pauline this is quite simply beautiful, I love that inky background and the flowers looks wonderful a super make
hugs
lorraine x

Bobby said...

I love the silhouettes combined with your inked shaped, Pauline. Thanks for sharing your card with us at The Flower Challenge.

Brenda said...

Pauline, your card is so nice. Sometimes they turn out better than we imagined in the first place. I think your spatters are perfect. I love the shine that you have achieved and the fact they don't detract from your beautiful stamps and blending. Thanks so much for joining us over at CRAFT Challenge this week!

Sarn said...

Fab background and lovely silhouette over-stamping. I love a bit of splattering and yours looks great. It's just a question of trying different cardstock and paints/inks!

Hugs, Sarn xxx