Sunday 12 May 2024

Watercolour Poppies


Hi everyone, today I would like to share a fairly simple watercolour effect card I made, based on a design by Jo Rice. I used to love watercolour stamping back in the day using my old Marvey watercolour markers with Penny Black brushstroke stamps, though I only had a very small number of the stamps to play with. Recently I have been trying a similar technique using my Zig pens and some silhouette Lavinia floral stamps … I am very pleased with the results although the pens really seriously stain your stamps!! Here is my latest effort.


I cut a 13cm square of white stamping card and masked a 2cm border all the way round. I then created my background with blended Elements inks and an acetate circle mask. I stamped the poppies and grasses by colouring with Zig pens then lightly spritzing with water, then added a flight of birds stamped with Pinecone Versafine Clair. I removed the masks and stamped the sentiment in blue, then matted the finished panel onto a blue pearlescent linen card border and a 6” square card blank.

Stamps: Lavinia Wild Poppies, Field Grass, Birds, Let Your Spirit Take Flight;
Media: Lavinia Elements inks (Blue Lagoon, Sundance); Versafine Clair (Pinecone, Medieval Blue); Kuretake Zig Clean Colour watercolour pens; Sakura Stardust pen (yellow);
Tools: Lavinia acetate circle mask.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Aud Sentiments #313 - Flowers plus a Sentiment
Craft Rocket #114 - Flowers (2nd entry)
Lavinia Creative Challenge (May) - Favourite Florals (3rd entry)
Make My Monday #225 - Florals (2nd entry) - TOP 3
Moving Along With the Times #166 - Flowers (2nd entry)
Path of Positivity #121 - Anything Goes Positive (2nd entry)
Simon Says (Monday) - Light and Airy (2nd entry)
Word Art Wednesday #647/648 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)

Hope you’re having a great weekend. Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

16 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely beautiful card Pauline and watercolour poppies.
Carol x

Claudia's kaartjes said...

Super toffe kaart. Helemaal leuk. Leuk dat je meedoet met onze challenge bij Make My Monday challenge
Great card, love it. Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday challenge

Creatieve Groetjes Claudia

Mijn FB groep: Claudia's Kaartjes
You tube:Claudia's Kaartjes
Blog:Claudia's Kaartjes
Challenge blogs:
Girlz Creative Christmas 
Girlz makes Guyz Cards
Girlz creative crafts
Creative sketchy girls

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

This is absolutely beautiful! have a good rest of your weekend - Michelle x

Ellibelle said...

Such a beautiful card, Pauline and I love how your Zig markers worked with the stamps! I tried it before when I first got them but only on the large Penny Black brushstroke stamps that have so much rubber and I felt like I was using up the marker so I haven't been using them for this technique anymore. I can see they would be great though for smaller rubber areas like on this pretty poppy stamp.
So nice to see you linking up at my Crafty Wednesday challenge this month. Thank you!

Carole J said...

A beautiful scene, Pauline with your water-coloured poppies and grass stamps. Many thanks for sharing your artwork and card at the Path of Positivity May challenge.
Carole DT x

Pamela said...

thank you for sharing this beautiful watercolor spray card with us at MMM

brenda said...

A really effective design with the masked focal panel Pauline.

B x

coldwaters2 said...

This is so beautiful Pauline I absolutely love that image of the Poppies also the background and the simplicity of the design it is top notch
hugs
lolo x

ScrappyHorses said...

So beautiful! The lovely red flowers and birds with the sun and delicate blue sky combined with the sentiment tell a thought provoking story! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us at Path of Positivity! Katrina

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Absolutely love the design, colours and the overall card Pauline, stunning work. x

MRS DUCK said...

Hi Pauline
Very pretty card.
Thanks for joining in at MAWTT challenge this month.
Best wishes.
Ang

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A gorgeous scene, lovely the colours and water-colour effect.
Lorraine

Fiona said...

I love the watercolour effect you have on these poppies Pauline - gorgeous card

Sarn said...

Totally lovely! xxx

Mrs.B said...

A lovely card Pauline, love the watercolour effect with these poppies against the blue sky background. Avril xx

Helen said...

Very effective Pauline - love this water colour effect.

Thanks for joining us at Moving Along With the Times.

Helen x
DT