Saturday 8 October 2022

Allsorts Challenge #697


Good morning everyone,

It's Saturday already, so it's time for another weekly Allsorts Challenge. This week Lolo has chosen the theme and it is

*** Anything Goes with option Monochromatic ***

We would love to see all your entries so long as they comply with our simple challenge rules, but would especially like to see makes that use just shades of one colour.

This week's prize has been donated by our patron Highlight Crafts


and is tickets to Crafting Live in Peterborough on 21-22 October, plus a Festive Bloom die set.




I have got two makes to share this week. I am part of a FB group for Visible Image which runs a monthly ATC swap where you are required to use only VI products. I like to join in when the theme fits the products I have, and this month it is monochrome which falls in quite nicely!!  The swap convention is to send your partner one ATC on the theme and also a card .. so I have made them to match.

Firstly, the card.


I made a monochromatic card and decided to go with shades of brown, as I have been inspired by the large number of autumn-themed challenges around right now but I don't have much in the way of specific autumn images such as falling leaves... so I am entering a few challenges with this autumnal colour palette.  

Firstly I cut a square of stamping card and created a smoosh background with various colours of Distress Ink. I did some background stamping with sepia ink, then die cut my mesh from a glimmery deep brown card stock and attached to the panel after I had placed it so I could stamp and heat emboss my sentiments.  I stamped the focal butterfly onto a separate piece of card using Pinecone VFC, heat embossed, then coloured with Promarkers and attached to the card front. I edged the panel with dark brown marker pen and matted onto the same card stock as I used for the mesh, then attached to the card front. I finished with a few sparkly brown gems and applied Glossy Accents to the butterfly.

Here is an angled pic to show the gloss a bit more clearly ... I'm rather disappointed with the effect on the large butterfly as it did make the colours look more dull underneath and reflected them in a strange way, leading to my card being classed as an “Anything Goes” option which rather defeated the object of using only one colour, so I’ll know not to make that mistake again!


Stamps: Visible Image Butterfly Effect;
Media: Promarkers and Flexmarkers; Tim Holtz Distress Inks (Antique Linen, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo); Versafine (Vintage Sepia); Versafine Clair (Pinecone); clear embossing powder; Ranger Glossy Accents;
Tools: Visible Image die - Broken Mesh.

Second, here is the ATC I made for my swap partner.


This followed the same process as the card, using different stamps for the focal butterfly and sentiment.

Stamps: Visible Image - VI Minis #1 (butterfly), Butterfly Effect (background stamping), Wings of Change (sentiment);
Media: same as card above;
Tools: same as card above.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Crafter's Cafe #289 - Monochrome
Creative Moments #238 - Anything Goes with option Autumn Colours (2nd entry)
Fab 'n' Funky #558 - Embossing
I ♥ Promarkers #520 - Anything Goes with option Embossing
Let's Craft and Create #188 - Anything Goes with option Colours of Fall
Stamping Sensations (October) - All Things Autumn
Taylormadecards4u (October) - Anything Goes with option Halloween/Fall
Use Your Stuff #468 - Autumn or Fall

Hope you can join us this week, and I look forward to seeing your entries. Don't forget to visit the challenge blog to see more fab inspiration from the rest of the team. 

All being well I’m hoping to pay a visit today to the Stamping
 Together Craft Fair at Port Sunlight on the Wirral, where Jo Rice will be doing some Lavinia demos … looking forward to it though I’m sure to spend too much !!

Take care and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

17 comments:

Ellibelle said...

Beautiful projects using these pretty stamps. Sorry you had trouble photographing it, but I can imagine it being all shades of brown in real life. Glitter and glazes do make it hard to photograph to show the exact colors but they do add such nice interest!
Have fun at the craft event!

Wendy L said...

They all look wonderful, xx

Sarn said...

Both the card and ATC are F.A.B.

Hope you've enjoyed your trip out to the show today.xxx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Beautiful projects Pauline, your background details and stamping look gorgeous. I hope you haven't spent too much today but I'm sure it will all be put to good use in your craft space.
Lorraine

brenda said...

A really lovely pair of Butterfly creations Pauline, in the same way you fell foul of Glossy Accents I did with glitter which showed up so many colour variants on my photos.

B x

Mervi said...

Fabulous and bold butterfly card, gorgeous;-))m

Aimeslee Winans said...

I agree, the Glossy Accents was a good idea but ends up often detracting when applied over large areas, I have found. But also good to remember that purple with brown can make both look dull (brings out the grays) and also, sometimes brown is that way all by itself. I think you got quite a lovely effect albeit not what you were going for. XOX

Pat said...

Beautiful card and ATC Pauline, thanks for playing along with us at Fab'n'Funky.

Pat xx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Such gorgeous effect has your butterfly with the gloss finish!! Even if the photo changes the monochrome colour, it looks really amazing! Fabulous background as well. The ATC is adorable too!
Thanks for entering also at We Love Stamping challenge!! :)

Mrs.B said...

A lovely card Pauline and it's a great design, shame about the Glossy Accents distorting the colour but it does give a lovely effect.
Thanks for sharing this at Stamping Sensations and Try it on Tuesday.
Avril xx

coldwaters2 said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Pauline that butterfly and background looks amazing
hugs
Lorraine x

Linby said...

Both are so pretty and the glossy accents is a great finishing touch.

Haven_mom4 said...

I favor the first card share as I like the smaller dots at the top of the antenna. Thanks for sharing with us at Use Your Stuff

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! These are gorgeous, love the colour mix on both.
Faith x

Let's Art Journal said...

Such pretty cards! The butterfly design look amazing, loving your backgrounds 😊. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs Jo x

Grenouille Greetings said...

Your muted colour tones and pretty butterfly make for a really lovely card! Thank you for joining in the fun at Stamping Sensations with this delightful creation. Hugs, Lesley

Deanna Mulder said...

I love your butterfly! It's beautiful. Thanks for playing along with us at Let's Craft and Create. Deanna DT