Saturday 8 January 2022

Six sides to every story


Hi everyone,

Here I am back again for a second post today, as I’d like to share a card I made in my first crafting session of 2022, playing with some of my new Christmas stash.  


I wanted to improve my stencilling so I asked Santa for a Press to Impress Art Board, to add to my P to I stamp positioning tool. The theory is that it holds stencils securely so you can apply inks without the stencil moving and/or fingers getting inky and smudging your work.  For this card I tried the tool both with a P to I A4 single shape stencil (hexagon) and with a separate stencil, and I found it did make stencilling a lot easier. I’m still ironing 1 or 2 things out but I’m overall very pleased with it.

I used my P to I A4 stencil to ink the main hexagon with distress oxide inks, and spritzed with water. I then stamped my new Lavinia poppies and hexagon background stamp. I did some more background stencilling, and added some ink spatter stamping to reflect the spatters in the hexagon stamp, and to tie in with the grungy look of the sentiment. Finally I stamped my sentiment words, cut out and popped up on foam tape.

Stamps: Lavinia - Group Poppies; AALL & Create #383 -  Scripted Hexagons; spatters - Butterfly Kisses Clear-2-Collage; sentiment - AALL & Create Textured Florals set;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Ripe Persimmon);
Tools: Press to Impress A4 hexagon stencil; AALL & Create stencil #112 - Heapza Hexagonz.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Classic Design Challenge (January) - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Simon Says (Monday) - Something New (2nd entry)
(all the stamps and stencils on this card are new)
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Something New (2nd entry)
Time Out #204 - New  (2nd entry)


I had a lot of fun making this card and trying out new things. I love the look of hexagon shapes and was very pleased with how the stamps and stencils came together in conjunction with the flowers and spatters.with hindsight I think I should have angled the stems and heads of my poppies more, but that’s a learning point for next time.

Thanks for visiting and hope to see you again soon.
Hugs,

 

8 comments:

Crafts-by-Alison.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful card love the design and colours. Alison x

Sarn said...

LOVING your card full of hexagons and pretty silhouette poppies. Adore that grungy hexagon A&C stamp (which, luckily, I also own!).

I hope YOU have a beautiful day too!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

brenda said...

Loving your choice of colours on this pretty creation Pauline.

B x

AarthiS said...

Lovely layout! Beautifully done ❤️ Happy New year and thank you so much for playing with us at TimeOut šŸ’•

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Beautiful stencilling and lovely colour choices too Pauline. I must confess I have tons of stencils but never think to use them, this card has given me some inspiration, thank you.
Lorraine

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

What a wonderful combination of elements you used for this wonderful mixed media card. Love your title! Thanks for playing with us at Time Out.

Viv said...

Such a beautiful card Pauline, thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge';) Viv DT xx

TaeEun said...

It's gorgeous! I love how you mixed different stencils and stamps to get the artistic look! What a unique monochromatic design! Thank you so much for playing at The Flower Challenge!