Monday 1 November 2021

By the Light of the Christmas Moon


Well, November is here so the time has come when the Christmas card stakes are starting to get higher ... having only got back into cardmaking this summer I didn't exactly have a head start,  but am determined to start making some progress.

Here is a card I made to experiment with Distress Oxide backgrounds for the sky and moon ... I have been watching a few online tutorials on this topic, and who knew there are so many different ways to get the moon in the sky?


First I created my sky by using a home made acetate moon mask and sponging around it with DO's, working outwards from dark to light. Then I softened the edges by masking outside the moon and gently sponging inside the moon circle, added a couple of wispy "clouds" by sponging against a torn piece of paper, and spattered with water to add some texture. I then created my landscape by also sponging using torn paper - but this time I used Versamagic chalk ink as I don't have a colour of DO that would give a sufficiently soft effect (yet!!). I stamped my tree and some winter berry-like foliage in the corner to break up the space, sponged round the edges with DO to "frame" the scene, and finished with my sentiment. I mounted the finished panel on charcoal glitter card, and lastly I highlighted the moon, tree and sky with a Sakura silver sparkly pen ... I thought I had a white sparkly one or a clear glue pen to give a white glitter effect but they seem to have disappeared, so I will have to sort that out as a priority! 

Looking at the finished project I would say I'm not entirely happy with the shape of the hills and the tree doesn't quite look "grounded",  but overall I am still pleased with this first landscape attempt and will be making a lot more cards along these lines.

Stamps: tree - Penny Black "Before the Snow" (3993K); foliage - "Summer Meadow" set free with craft magazine; sentiment - Wild Rose Studio;
Media: SkyTim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Chipped Sapphire, Salty Ocean, Tumbled Glass, Black Soot); hills - Versamagic chalk ink; Sakura silver gelly roll stardust pen.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Alphabet Challenge - O is for Outdoors
Crafter's Cafe #277 - Anything Goes
Crafty Catz #570 Anything Goes
Make My Monday #160 - E(scape) It! - TOP PICK
Penny Black Saturday Challenge (October) - Anything Goes + colour option (2nd entry)
(I have used black, white and teal)
Simon Says (Monday) - Any Holiday Occasion - DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Anything Goes (4th entry)
The Holly and Ivy #104 - Anything Christmas Goes

Stay safe these dark nights, and thanks for visiting today.
Hugs,

13 comments:

JanR said...

Fabulous card! Such great stencilling! Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

creationsnz said...

A wonderful ethereal landscape, just love those wisps against the moon. CarolG

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Wow what a beautiful creation Pauline. Lovely technique with the Distress inks to create this gorgeous wintry sky.
Lorraine

brenda said...

A beautifully crafted creation as always Pauline.

B x

Linby said...

What a beautiful and magical scene.

Crafts-by-Alison.blogspot.com said...

Pauline stunning card love the scene you have created love Alison x

Billie A said...

Beautiful card. I love the scene and colors. Thanks for sharing over at Crafty Catz, Alphabet challenge, Make My Monday.

Talitha said...

Gorgeous! I love the clouds across the moon. Wonderful effect. Thanks.

R's Rue said...

So cute.

Sarn said...

Gorgeous scenic creations. Very atmospheric.
Hugs, Sarn x

Dawn Phillips said...

This is stunning. Thanks for joining us at Make my Monday. Love Dawn x

Anke said...

WOW absolutely stunning, I love your card.

Scraffky said...

Oh, so elegant card! Thank you for joining us at The Crafter’s CafĂ© Challenge Blog.
Kisses, Karolina Scraffky