Wednesday 10 November 2021

A Gift For All Seasons


Hi everyone,

I enjoyed making my first bookmark so much a couple of weeks ago that I decided to make a few more as Christmas stocking filler presents … goodness knows why as I have hardly made any Christmas cards yet!! This evolved into the idea of challenging myself to make a set of 4 bookmarks as a single gift set, themed around the 4 seasons. I don’t have much in the way of sentiment stamps to reflect each season so I decided to go with seasonal images and colours, coupled with some of my inspirational words or verses that rarely get inked.  I also tried to take the opportunity to incorporate a variety of stamping and inking techniques across the 4 pieces.

Here is the full set. All of the bookmarks consist of a decorated panel adhered to backing card, with a hole bounded with a small die cut and threaded with ribbon from my stash. The common denominator on all 4 pieces is the Woodware alphabet stamp.


And here is some detail about each individual bookmark …

Spring


For this bookmark I created a simple colour wash background with “Twisted Citron” Distress Oxide ink daubed onto my craft mat and a water brush. I then stamped my sentiment using Sepia Versafine and heat embossed, then coloured my brushstroke flower stamp with Marvey watercolour markers, spritzed with water and stamped to create a soft watercolour effect. I then stamped the alphabet with “Peeled Paint” DI and heat embossed. 
 
Stamps: flower - Penny Black “Jonquil” (3587K); sentiment - Penny Black “...dreams...” (2711F); alphabet - Woodware "Additions";
Media: Tim Holtz DO and DI inks; Marvey watercolour markers.

Summer


For this one I created a “smoosh” background with a mix of “Kitsch Flamingo” DO and “Antique Linen” DI inks, then stamped my sentiment using “Picked Raspberry” DO and heat embossed. I coloured my flower stamp with Marvey Watercolour markers, spritzed and stamped as above. I stamped the alphabet and  extra foliage using “Cracked Pistachio” DO and heat embossed, and finished off by randomly stamping and heat embossing small dot clusters around the flower using Versamark and detail white embossing powder.

Stamps: flower - Penny Black “Blush” (2666K); sentiment - Penny Black “"The Journey” (3177F); alphabet - as above; dots - Woodware “Additions”;
Media: Tim Holtz DO and DI inks; Marvey watercolour markers.

Autumn


I blended three colours of DO (Fossilized Amber, Ripe Persimon and Barn Door) using my foam blending tools, and using a home made mask to create the sun; I then splattered with water to create some texture.  I stamped my flowers, tree branch and alphabet using Sepia Versafine and heat embossed, then created a composite sentiment by masking off parts of 2 different sentiment stamps. This was made a lot easier using my Press to Impress stamp positioning tool. 😀

Stamps: flowers and bird branch - “Meadow Flowers” set free with cardmaking magazine; alphabet - as above; sentiment - composite of unknown sentiment set and Crafter’s Companion stamp/stencil set “Life Happens”;
Media: Tim Holtz DO inks.

 Winter


I blended my sky background using Chipped Sapphire, Salty Ocean and Tumbled Glass DO and a mask for the moon. I created a bit of landscaping by blending Tumbled Glass and Chipped Sapphire DO’s and using torn paper, then spattered with water to create a “snowy” texture. Lastly I stamped and heat embossed the tree (Versafine Onyx), alphabet (Faded Jeans DI) and sentiment (Colorbox Pigment ink)

Stamps: tree - Penny Black “Before the Snow”  (3993K);  alphabet - as above; sentiment - Crafter’s Companion stamp/stencil set “Fairy Kisses”;
Media: Tim Holtz DO and DI inks; Colorbox pigment ink.

Challenges I would like to enter: 
(the full set of bookmarks unless otherwise stated in brackets)

Classic Design Challenge (November) Anything Goes (3rd entry)
Crafty Calendar (November) - Anything Goes
Crafty Creations #427 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Creations In Pink #38 - Anything Goes (Summer)
MAWTT #136 - Anything But A Card - TOP 5
Penny Black Saturday Challenge (November) Anything Goes with option of Not A Card 
(Spring, Summer, Winter)
Try It On Tuesday - Make It Magical (Winter)

Phew! I think a need a bit of a lie down after that little lot. It was a lot of effort to create these, but I am pleased with how they have turned out and would secretly like to keep them for myself ... but I will resist!  Take care, and thanks for visiting today.
Hugs,

23 comments:

Tracy said...

These are really beautiful Pauline.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

brenda said...

These are fabulous Pauline, beautifully inked and stamped and nicely finished with the rounded corners. Perfect for you theme at River of Creativity, many thanks for joining in.

B x

B x

Zoechaos said...

These are lovely little works of art and what a great idea to make a set themed on the seasons. Perfect for our The Gift theme at River of Creativity thank you for joining us xx

Mięta said...

Uwielbiam zakładki. Twoje wyszły ślicznie :)
Pozdrawiam serdecznie :)

Sue said...

These are beautiful Pauline, and what a great theme! Thanks so much for joining in with us at Country View Crafts and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Anke said...

WOW your bookmarks are so beautiful, Pauline.

Crafts-by-Alison.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful book markers they make wonderful gifts. Love Alison x

Jackie C said...

So pleased to see your entry here at Creations in Pink.
This is a lovely project.
Thanks for sharing.
Jackie DT @ Creations in Pink

Jackie C said...

This is a smashing project!
We do love to see all the entries at Classic.
Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge
We really appreciate you joining in.

Jackie DT

Ana G.G. said...

Esto es trabajo digno de un diseñador gráfico o un ilustrador. Son preciosas ;)

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

These tags are just gorgeous. Nice work. Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Annette DT

Gibmiss said...

Fabulous Book marks ….Hugs Sylvie
PBSC DT….x

Sarn said...

Beautiful set of bookmarks. Love each little work of art.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Evelyn Walter said...

Love your bookmarks, each one of them is an eyecatcher! Great idea for an additional gift.
Thank you for joining in with our November challenge at Country View Challenges!
Evelyn xx

Helen said...

Beautiful magical tags!! LOVE the one you made for our challenge! Thanks for joining us at Try it on Tuesday!

Diane Louise J said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely project with Moving Along With The Times, your bookmarks are beautiful.
Good Luck.
Diane Louise (DT) xx

My Paper Epiphany said...

All your bookmarks are beautiful! Very special! Thanks so much for sharing at PBSC:)

Farida Rone said...

Super cute Tags! Love them all.
Thanks for joining us at Crafty Calendar Challenge.
Hugs,
Farida

Rika said...

These are all beautiful!

Joan said...

Beautiful bookmarks, a lovely gift

Thanks for joining us at TIOT challenge

rachel said...

Beautiful makes. Thanks for joining us at Countryview Challenges and good luck in the draw. Xx

Helen said...

These are beautiful Pauline - what a lovely gift!
Thanks for playing at the Penny Black Saturday Challenge!
Helen x

Rocky said...

Beautiful and practical, a fab idea too. Thank you for joining us at River Of Creativity.