Wednesday 28 February 2024

The Beauty of Flowers


Hi everyone, I was fortunate enough to win a recent challenge on the Country View Crafts FB page, and with part of the prize voucher I decided to treat myself to a new circular gel press. Up to now I have only had a 6” square gel press, based on the premise that I could die cut shapes such as circles from my large square prints. Although this is true I have hankered after being able to print a circle straight to card and then do my stamping, plus I’ve never really got on with my first gel press. 

 Today I would like to share my first card using the new gel press and some of my favourite Tracy Evans stamps. This card is based on a tutorial by Tracy, though I have changed the colours and done a few other adjustments to the design to incorporate a bird and a different sentiment. 


I applied 3 colours of Distress Oxide ink to my gel press with a brayer, spattered watered down DOX on top and took a print .. I had only one wasted attempt before I got a print I was happy with so this is real progress!! I masked outside the circle and blended some more DOX round the inner edges to give a bit more depth, then stamped the flower three times, masking the centre flower. I removed the masks then stamped the bird, drew a partial circle with a black fineliner to extend the floral design, then stamped the bird in the corner in Nocturne, and the background wording in Morning Mist Versafine Clair. I coloured the centre flower with Zig watercolour brush pens (Tracy coloured hers with Inktense pencils, but I only have 12 of them so can’t easily create subtle shading), then added some shading around the flowers and to ground the bird, which I blended out with water.

I added sparkle to all 3 flowers with Wink of Stella, and white Posca pen highlights. I stamped the sentiment onto separate card and cut out, positioned on the card and then stamped the hearts to hang down from it. I matted the panel onto black linen card stock and a 7” card blank, then replaced the circle outer mask before applying white Posca spatters across the circle, and finally attached the sentiment and some small pieces of ripped washi tape.

Here's an angled picture which tries to capture the sparkle, though not very successfully (it is actually very sparkly!!)


Stamps: Tracy Evans Boutique Designs TE4 New Beginnings, TE6 Branched Heart; AALL & Create #831 Sent With Love;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Kitsch Flamingo, Spiced Marmalade, Picked Raspberry); Versafine Clair (Nocturne, Morning Mist, Charming Pink); Kuretake Zig Clean Colour watercolour brush pens;  Wink of Stella; Posca pen (white);
Tools: Lavinia Roland gel press;
Other: AALL & Create washi tape #33 Be a Rebel.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Allsorts #769 - Things That Fly (3rd entry)
As You Like It - Favourite Feminine or Masculine (and why)
(My favourite is feminine cards as I love flowers, butterflies, and feminine colours)
Beautiful Blossoms #14 - Anything Floral Goes with Optional Mood Board
(5th entry)
(I have followed the general pink/peach colour scheme)

My Time To Craft #528 - Create Your Own Background (2nd entry)
Simon Says (Monday) - Fur or Feathers (2nd entry)
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Beautiful Blooms (2nd entry)
Tracy Evans FB Challenge (February) - Heartfelt (4th entry)
Try it On Tuesday - Spotlight It
Worldwide Crafters and Colourists #14 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)

I was always quite nervous about playing with my previous gel press, but I’m hopeful I’m going to get on a lot better with this one, so watch this space!!

Take care and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

15 comments:

brenda said...

Very pretty floral creation Pauline. Think my round gel plate is the one that gets the most use, I cut the A4 one down to create a large DL size, was just too big as it was.

B x

Chris said...

You made great use of your lovely prize, it's a beautiful card, love the stamps and pretty colours.
xx

ScrappyHorses said...

Beautiful! Such soft peach and rose colors in this lovely circular gel press piece! Love the little bird! Thank you for sharing with us over at Worldwide Crafters and Colorists Challenge.
Katrina DT

Ellibelle said...

You did fantastic with the gel press, your card is so beautiful! I think my struggle is with the brayer, I was never able to use one successfully even though I've had one since my very early stamping days. My circular gel press is smaller so I will give it a try with that one soon and thank you for sharing Tracy's video too so I can get an idea.
Great to see you at Allsorts challenge with this pretty card too!

Linby said...

A wonderful interpretation of Tracy's design. The colour palette you used is so pretty.

coldwaters2 said...

Oh my this is so beautiful Pauline I love the flower stamp you have used and the wonderful pastel colours that little bird is a great addition thank you for joining us at Allsorts
hugs
lolo x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! I love the image contained in the circle, with the lovely bird peeking into it. A stunning card Pauline. x

Liz said...

Wonderful card, Pauline. You’ve done a great job with the gel press and I love the design you’ve created with the stamps. Thank you for sharing another card in the Allsorts Challenge this week using the Things That Fly option.
Liz xx

Donna Walls said...

I haven't used my gel press in ages, mainly because I never get a press as lovely as yours. This is a beautiful card, I love the images and colors. Thanks for sharing your lovely card with us at The Beautiful Blossoms Challenge.
Donna xx
Inspiration Station Challenge
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge

Wendy L said...

Your card looks wonderful, so beautiful, thanks for joining the challenge at My Time To Craft. xx

Mervi said...

Lovely and beautiful card Pauline.
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Sarn said...

This is an absolute stunner Pauline. I LOVE the colour combo and all the little elements and masking you included. I will have to have a go at using DOX on my gel plate soon. I tend to use acrylics - but it's always nice to try something different. TFS Tracy's video tutorial too. xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Pauline! This really is so beautiful! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisx

Joan said...

A lovely card, I love the spot light circle

Thanks for joining in at Try it on Tuesday challenge

Aimeslee Winans said...

So pretty!
Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Beautiful Blossoms Challenge!
xoxo, Aimeslee DT