Tuesday 17 October 2023

Try It on Tuesday GDT - Hallowe’en


Hi everyone, I was really thrilled to be asked to be a Guest Designer for this fortnight’s Try It On Tuesday Challenge as it is one of my favourites which I enter as often as I can.


The theme for this challenge is perfectly in keeping with the time of year, and is 

Halloween

So we would love to see your scary projects or those that are too cute to spook!

Here is my GDT card.


I have to confess this was a bit of a challenge for me as I don’t send Hallowe’en cards so I have only very limited supplies .. I already had Willow the Witch and the gorgeous castle, but I also persuaded myself to invest in some flying bats and I managed to get the dragon stamp from a craft de-stash site!

I blended Elements inks over a square of stamping card using an acetate moon mask, then used my hill masks and more Elements to create the landscape. I stamped the moon directly over the circle I had masked using 2nd generation VFC in Morning Mist, then stamped the fairy castle, Willow, bats and ground foliage in Nocturne. I stamped trees either side in Twilight to give a bit of depth, then coloured the castle windows using yellow and orange Sakura Stardust pens. I highlighted various items with white gel pen and smudged white pastel pencil, then did a lot of further highlighting to represent the reflection of the moon with my clear Sakura Stardust pen … the card is actually VERY sparkly, much more so than shows up on camera. I used the tiniest circles on my White Orbs stencil to create the bubbles rising from the cauldron using orange and purple Stardust pens, interspersed with white pastel pencil “steam” and white gel pen dots. Finally I added some sparkly orange fire coming from the dragon’s mouth, and edged the panel with blended Graphite Elements ink before matting onto black card stock and a 7” square card blank.

Here’s an angled picture to show the sparkle.


Stamps: Lavinia Willow the Witch, Far World Castle, Mideela (small), Moon, Bats, Forest Scene, Tree Branch, Slender Mushrooms Mini,  Flower Collection;
Media: Lavinia Elements inks (Graphite, Violet Chalk, Dark Denim); Versafine Clair (Nocturne, Twilight, Morning Mist); Sakura Stardust pens (orange, yellow, clear); gel pen (white); pastel pencil (white);
Tools: Lavinia circle and hill acetate masks, White Orbs stencil.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Art Impressions #362 - Give Us a Fright
Craft Rocket #108 - Autumn/Hallowe’en
Crafty Calendar (October) - Autumn Colours/Hallowe’en
Crafty Gals Corner #248 - Hallowe’en Colours - TOP 3
Creatalicious #269 - Anything Goes with option Hallowe’en - TOP 3
Creative Inspirations (October) - Autumn/Hallowe’en
Daisy Chain #79 - Autumn/Hallowe’en
Dream Factory #121 - The Fantastic World of Oz - WINNER
(keyword - witches)
The Fairy and the Unicorn #10 - Anything Goes Fantasy
Lost Coast Portal to Creativity #176 - 31 Days of Hallowe’en
Papercraft Challenges #99 - Happy Hallowe’en - TOP 3
Sheepski #79 - Autumn or Hallowe’en Colours
Shopping Our Stash #507 - Franken-card (Hallowe’en)
Two Old Bats Hallowe'en Challenge (October) - Anything Goes Hallowe'en with optional Moodboard

Unicorn Challenge #92 - Autumn/Hallowe’en

I hope you can join in with the challenge - please do head over to the Try It On Tuesday Challenge blog to see the fab inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and to link up your entry. Thanks again to Avril for inviting me to be GDT for this challenge.

Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

26 comments:

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Wow, beautifully done Pauline, you have created a lovely depth to this haunting scene. Congrats on your GDT spot too.
Lorraine

pinky said...

Wow, I think you have aced the challenge Pauline. This is so spooky. I love the background and the colours you went me. Absolutely love it!!

Pia S said...

I have never before sent out any Halloween cards either but I wonder if this year should be an exception. I love the colors used for Halloween and there are so many fabulous supplies that I haven't been able to resist making some cards, even though not needed.
And your card is so brilliantly designed, you captured the spooky feeling of Halloween even though you had a limited supply. Thanks for being our guest designer at TioT.

My name is Erika. said...

You nailed this Halloween card Pauline, even if you don't have a lot of Halloween supplies. She is one spooky looking witch, and I really like the dragon. The touch of white adds a lot too. You created a beautiful scene, and thank you for being our guest designer. Hugs-Erika

Artyjen said...

I feel as if I could walk in the landscape you have created...and not be spooked! :)
xoxo Sioux

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing Halloween card! I love the stamps that you used and all the detail that you added with the sparkle and white pen - perfect 😊. I only do a few fun Halloween cards for friends who celebrate 🎃. Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer at Try it on Tuesday! Sending Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Viv said...

Beautifully done Pauline! Love this make and thanks so much for being our Guest Designer at TIOT for this challenge. x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'm so pleased to see you here as our Guest Designer! This is such a wonderful card,

pearshapedcrafting said...

Published too soon! I especially love how you created the cauldron steam! As for sparkle and white pen marks - you can't go wrong! Hugs, Chrisx

Laurie said...

This is amazing! I love the deep purple background which really showcases the full moon and the castle and trees. Wonderful witchy woman cooking up something in her caldron with the dragon watching overhead. Just so fun! Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge!

brenda said...

Goodness she's a bust Witch this Halloween season, she's popping up all over, beautifully done in in the spooky purples.

B x

Sarn said...

What a fabulous hallowe’en card. Love the colours used, the highlights, the moon and the brilliant stamping and background hills. It all works perfectly x

Liz said...

Wonderful Halloween scene, so atmospheric. Thank you for joining in the Crafty Calendar Challenge this month.
Liz xx

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic card Pauline, the images look amazing, the sparkle adds to the scene you created. Thank you for being our guest Designer for this theme at TioT's.
Yvonne

Linby said...

You've brought all the elements together to make a really spooky card. It's wonderful.

Diane said...

Oh WOW, what a fab-BOO-ulous Halloween scene, it's amazing!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Two Old Bats!
Diane TOB Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Two Old Bats}

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Stunning piece of work Pauline, love the scene you created.
Faith x

Paper Scissors Glitter said...

You've made a great Halloween card Pauline with the supplies you had. Love the scene you have created. Thanks for joining us at Creative Inspirations Jayne DT

Gail Hutchinson said...

Pauline, I love your card using silhouettes. Thank you for sharing with us over here at Sheepski Designs and best of luck with your entry.

Gail DT for https://sheepski-designs-challenges.blogspot.com/

MortiCraft said...

What a super and very atmospheric card! Lovely ink blending and silhouettes are always so effective. Thanks for joining us at Papercraft Challenges. X

Ilonka said...

What a beautiful card, thanks for sharing it with us at The Fairy and Unicorn Challenge Blog.
Hugs Ilonka DT

dj said...

Fantastic!! So much spooky eerie detail!! Way to go shopping your stash!! Thanks for joining the fun and playing along with our "Franken-Card" challenge over at Shopping Our Stash!!
-Deb Horst, DT #SOS507

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous card Pauline, love the spooky scene with the castle and the bats flying by. Your fire breathing dragon looks scary.
It's lovely to have you as our Guest Designer at TioT and with such a brilliant card.
Avril xx

Jana Forrest said...

What a wonderful Halloween card. Very creative. Thank you for sharing over at Crafty Gals Corner Challenge. Best of luck, Jana DT

ionabunny said...

Spooktacular scene. Thanks for joining the fun at the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity. Hugz

papierelle said...

You have created a very extraordinary Halloween card with lots of small details and very elaborate design. Glad you joined us at the Dream Factory. Gundi