Tuesday 31 October 2023

Mooch under the Christmas Tree


Hi everyone, on Sunday I had a fabulous day out in Ruthin, visiting the Lavinia shop for their Hallaganza Open Day. I had a wonderful time watching tutorials, chatting to the Design Team, the staff and other crafters, and browsing in the magical shop. I was so tired when I got home I didn’t even unpack my haul straight away, but yesterday I couldn’t wait to get started with my Christmas stamps from the new release!!  


However, instead of diving straight in with a card made totally with new stamps, I decided to pair the stunning new large Christmas tree with Mooch the cat so that I could join in this month’s Christmas Kickstart Challenge, which is in memory of Janis Woodbright. Janis hosted the annual Cat Lovers’ Blog Hop for a number of years but passed away in January, so her friends have got together to do a huge challenge in her honour. I was mostly away from crafting and blogging from 2013-2021 so I didn’t know Janis and have never taken part in her annual blog hop, however I was really impressed and touched by the efforts made by her crafty friends to put this challenge together to express their love and support, not to mention the incredible generosity of sponsors who worked with Janis in the past. 


Here’s my Christmas themed cat card.


I cut a piece of white stamping card 6 3/4” x 4 3/4” and stamped the gorgeous new Lavinia “Wild Pine” in Shady Lane and Pinecone Versafine Clair, then stamped Mooch the cat in Nocturne. I coloured the tree by painting in flicking motions with watered down Elements ink, then coloured the baubles and dots with Posca Sparkle pens. I stamped a mini star on top of the tree, first in gold ink but that gave a somewhat fuzzy impression, so I overstamped in Versafine Clair which gave the wholly unintended but pleasing impression of an aura around the star, and I also applied some colour with my orange sparkle pen.  I applied a light wash of Elements ink to ground the scene, then stamped the new Lavinia “Peace” sentiment in Warm Breeze, surrounded by Uniko wording in Nocturne. I finished off with a couple of 2nd generation snowflakes (1 was to hide a smudge … ssshhhh!!) and dots of glue pen covered in my new Starbrights holographic glitter, before matting onto pearlescent blue card stock and a 7” x 5” card blank.

Here is an angled picture to show (not very successfully!) the shimmer and sparkle.


Stamps: Lavinia Wild Pine, Mooch, North Star Mini, Snowflakes, Seasonal Words; Uniko Festive Sentiments;
Media: Versafine Clair (Shady Lane, Pinecone, Nocturne, Warm Breeze, Summertime); Lavinia Elements ink (Olive, Blue Atoll); Posca Sparkle Pens (Light Blue, Orange, Pink); Lavinia Starbrights Holographic Glitter.

Challenges I would like to enter:

ABC ChristmasV is for Vertical
CAS on Friday #269  - Animal
Christmas Kickstart Challenge #79 - Cat Lovers’ Christmas Challenge (Remembering Janis Woolbright)
Crafty Catz #656Anything Goes with option Any Four Legged Critter
Creative Moments #251 - It’s Alive! (3rd entry)
Daring CardmakersA Bit of Bling  (2nd entry)
Double Trouble #151Anything Goes
Simon Says (Wednesday)Anything Goes (4th entry)
Use Your Stuff #496 - Anything Goes
Word Art Wednesday #619/620Anything Goes (4th entry)

That’s all from me for today, but I’ll be back soon with more Christmas makes with my new stash! Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

21 comments:

Linby said...

Beautiful. Great combination of stamps.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A stunning card and great use of this fabulous new tree stamp Pauline.
Lorraine

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I LOVE the tree, what a stunning card.
Faith x

Mummylade said...

Lovely stamps! Thank you so much for joining us at ABC Christmas challenge

Melanie Hungerford said...

Fabulous card, love how you decorated the tree, and the star turned out great! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble!

Ellibelle said...

Looks like you had a great time visiting the Lavinia shop and got some new goodies too! Love your cat themed Christmas card and so great to see you at the Cat Lovers hop this year too. I joined in Janis's hop a couple of times in the past, always such a fun and huge event (wish I had discovered it sooner), this was only my third year to take part in it. So glad it is being continued in her honor!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card and fabulous tree,love Mooch too-I was sent this gorgeous cat stamp in a card swap last month.
Carol x

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous card Pauline, I love the new stamp release and this tree is gorgeous.
Looked like a great day on Sunday, wish I lived nearer.
Avril xx

KT Fit Kitty said...

Such a gorgeous card and cute little Christms scene! How fun that you got to visit Lavinia's shop! Sounds like you had a fab time! Thank you so much for linking up your adorable kitty card at Christmas Kickstart's Cat Lovers Christmas Challenge in memory of our dear friend Janis! Wishing you a wonderful day!

coldwaters2 said...

Gorgeous card Pauline you do use these stamps perfectly the tree and the kitty are super
hugs
lorraine x

Becca Yahrling said...

Oh, that tree!! It's magnificent. A lovely kitty Christmas card - Janis would have loved it!

Liz said...

Hi Pauline, so pleased to have found your blog. What a fabulous day it was on Sunday, so much inspiration from the demos. You’ve made a fabulous card with some of the new stamps and I love how you’ve added Mooch. xx

mandysea said...

Oh wow! How wonderful to visit the Lavinia's shop! Love your delightful card! Mooch is gorgeous, love her wispy fur and the highlights in the tree is also wow! Very talented! Thanks for playing along with Cat Lovers Christmas Challenge and for the lovely words about Janis. We miss her so much xx

Alyson Mayo said...

Awww, so cute! I bet that cat is wondering how he will get into that tree! Thanks fir sharing with us at Double Trouble :)

Laurie said...

The Christmas tree stamp is beautiful and I love how you have colored and decorated it. The kitty looks very peaceful sitting under the tree. Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge!

Dotty Jo said...

I loved reading your post - what a fun visit to Lavinia Stamps. Thanks for your kind words about our challenge and for entering your beautiful card. The cat and the tree just look fab together and I can see the sparkle in your second full pic. Thanks for playing at The Cat Lovers Christmas Challenge where we are remembering our dear friend Janis, Jo x

Suzanne H said...

I'm still hopping along with the Cat Lovers Christmas Challenge. This is a beautiful card. The stamps and your painting are just lovely. Thanks for joining in - Helpful Hopper Suzanne

Haven_mom4 said...

The tree stamp is fabulous. thanks for sharing your creation with us at Use Your Stuff

Carole J said...

This is a gorgeous Lavinia stamped Christmas scene, Pauline! I've visited the Ruthin shop a couple of times - it's simply magical, isn't it. You did a very good cover up with the snowflake - no-one would ever know!
Thank you for joining the special Cat Lovers Christmas Challenge in memory of our dear friend, Janis Woolbright. x

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Love that you were touched and inspired to make this beautiful card in memory of Janis. Your tree is beautiful and love the silhouette of the kitty. Thanks for sharing you inspiration with us at Double Trouble and one of our previous partners Use Your Stuff.

Catnip and Kitty Whiskers said...

What an adorable card! Love it! So happy you shared it on The Christmas Kickstart Cat Lover's Christmas Challenge!