Tuesday 20 June 2023

1000 Not Out!


Hi everyone, today's post is rather a special one for me, as I realised that I have clocked up 1000 posts since I started blogging back in June 2008! 

An awful lot of things have changed in my life since then ... I have lost both my parents, changed my job, bought another house and finished work, and my style of crafting has changed a lot from the early days. It has taken me a long time to get to 1000 posts, as after being very active in the period 2008-13, my cardmaking and blogging slowed considerably when my mum passed away in 2013, and fell off a cliff when my dad had his final illness and died in 2015. I never really got back into it until I was made redundant from my job in 2021 during the pandemic, at which point I started looking out my old craft supplies, seeing how much styles had changed so buying lots of new ones!!  During the past 2 years I have really got back into it, reconnected with some old blogging friends and made new ones, and joined a number of Facebook crafting groups too. 

There is a certain serendipity about today's card, as I made it before I realised this would be  my 1000th post; but it really represents the wheel turning full circle. it is another masculine card made primarily with my recent Visible Image winnings, plus my new torn edge rectangle dies that I have just purchased from Amazon to help with vintage style makes. It turns out that the first card I ever posted on my blog was also a vintage car, which also included plaid/checked background paper and faux “rivets” - it was my dear dad's 80th birthday card!  

Here's a picture from that first post ... it was a very small photo and quite blurry plus I’d not heard of watermarking back then, but this card brings back a lot of memories of my dad and I'm pretty sure I still have it as I found and kept it when I cleared out my parents' house.


Fast forward 15 years, and here is today's card which is a 7” square.


This card is actually quite unusual for me these days, insomuch as I used a die for matting and designer papers for the background, but I felt it suited the kind of look I wanted for this image. I die cut a torn edged rectangle from cream card stock, and stamped the car image in dark brown. I also stamped some 2nd generation numbers in the corners, then blended Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Inks round the edges to give an aged look. I matted onto a couple pieces of old design paper in shades of cream and brown which I also matted onto dark brown card stock with deckle cut edges. I stamped my grungy birthday sentiment (I absolutely love that sentiment!!), then stamped my vintage style nib onto separate cream card, coloured, fussy cut and attached.  Lastly I added Glossy Accents to the car headlights and windscreen, and attached two metallic rivets kindly gifted to me by Lorraine.

Here's a picture with the co-ordinating envelope.


I'm really am very pleased with my new VI cars stamp set ... so useful for those difficult masculine makes!

Stamps: Visible Image You’re a Classic, Birthday Wishes; AALL & Create #908 Quill Ends;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Inks (Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain); Distress Oxide ink ( Antique Linen); Versafine Clair (Pinecone); Versafine (Vintage Sepia); Glossy Accents);
Paper: LotV Country Gent;
Tools: unbranded Torn Rectangle die (Amazon); deckle edged cutting blade.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Country View Challenges (June) - Vintage (2nd entry)
Creative Moments #246 - Boys and Men
Daring Cardmakers - Make It Masculine
Everybody Art #538 - Transport
Kraftin’ Kimmie’s Saturday Challenge #669 - Any of CAS, Boys/Men and/or Brown
Sheepski #75 - For the Boys (2nd entry)
Simon Says (Monday) - Pick a Number (2nd entry)
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Lots of Layers (2nd entry)
Word Art Wednesday #599/600 - Anything Goes (6th entry)

So onward and upward, and here’s hoping I’ll be able to keep my blog active from now on! Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,


7 comments:

brenda said...

Congratulations Pauline!

It's scary when we look back at what we made then and now, how our styles change and moreover the products available now compared with back then.

Can identify with much of what you say, I lost both my parents just 16 weeks apart and sounds like yours and mine would have been similar ages. Craft became difficult and I spent hours doing jig saw puzzles, but then craft helped me no end get through it.

So nice you shared those comparison cards.

B x

Ellibelle said...

Congratulations on your 1000th blog post! How wonderful! You had made a fabulous card for your dad's 80th birthday back then, so nice that you still have it! And a gorgeous card for today's special post too, vintage cars are so great for masculine cards. I have a Tim Holtz version of one. The deckle edges work so well with it too. I used to have some deckle scissors (truthfully still have them somewhere in my crafty mess) but was never able to cut a straight line with them.
The papercraft "scene" surely changed a lot from back. Still have many favorites from a long time ago, though it's always nice to play with new goodies.

Sarn said...

Hi Pauline . . . congratulations on your 1000th blog post.

Love that you shared your past and present masculine cards. They are both great. LOVE your new torn edge dies - they're very effective. xxx

Dawn said...

Congratulations on your 1000th post. Two fabulous vintage creations. Thanks for joining in at the Daring Cardmakers.

Card Creator said...

Absolutely lovely! Thank you for participating in My Time to Craft Challenge

~Tamara

Uschi said...

Wow, my best congrats on your 100 th post. It´s so nice you shared your first post as well. Each of your cards is really so stunning. It is so formidable how we changed of yesteryear. But it´s still a part of us.
I can empathise with you. I lost my dad last year and currently my mum is very ill. For me there is always a comfort in crafting.
All the best for you and thank you very much for sharing this wonderful masculine card with the current challenge of Everybody-Art-Challenge.
Hug Uschi

Marjeta said...

That is awesome. 1000 posts! Congratulation and thanks for playing with us at Creative Moments.