Sunday 24 March 2024

Dare To Be Different


Hi everyone, today I would like to share the card I made for a one-off card swap that was organised on the Tracy Evans FB page, where the idea was to use Tracy’s latest own-brand stamps as the focal point for the design. The organiser was fellow group member Fiona, whose blog I already know well, and it turned out that she was also my swap partner. I very much admire Fiona’s lovely creations so I was really excited about the swap.

I decided to use the cute new Quirky Birds, and wanted to create something really different, I had an idea of placing a brightly coloured bird amongst several plain ones on a grey background, to emphasise the concept that the colourful one “dares to be different”. 


I created a smooshed background with several shades of grey and black Distress Oxides, then stamped and heat embossed a bird at each side. I stamped and heat embossed the bird with hearts onto separate card, coloured with Zig pens and Spectrum Noir sparkle pen then fussy cut out. 

I wanted to mount the coloured bird onto a rainbow coloured background and played around with die cut circles, but then hit on the idea of using the branched heart. I stamped it and heat embossed both on the inked background and on separate white card, then coloured the heart on white card with Zig pens, spattered with water then fussy cut. I attached the heart and bird to the centre of the card, and added some background stamping in grey and a couple of words in black. 

I stamped the main sentiment onto separate card, masking it so I could stamp the word “different” in rainbow colours (very fiddly, but worth it!), then cut out, edged and attached. Finally I stamped, cut out and attached some little hearts, added some white gel pen highlights, then matted the finished panel onto black and silver card stock and a 7” x 5” card blank.  

Here's an angled pic to show the sparkle.


I also decorated the inside of the card ...


... and the envelope.


Stamps: Tracy Evans Boutique Designs TE10 Quirky Birds, TE6 Branched Heart; AALL & Create #533 Bring On the Sentiments, #531 Textured Florals;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Lost Shadow, Hickory Smoke, Black Soot); Versafine Clair (Nocturne, Morning Mist, Tulip Red, Summertime, Cheerful, Rainforest, Blue Belle, Twilight, Monarch); Kuretake Zig Clean Colour watercolour brush pens; Spectrum Noir sparkle pen (clear); gel pen (white).

Challenges I would like to enter:

Colourful Options (March) - Rainbow Inspired - TOP 3
Creative Inspirations (March) - Anything Goes (3rd entry)
Creative Knockouts #517 - Sparkle and Shine
Lost Coast Portal To Creativity #183 - Let's Fly (2nd entry)
Pammie’s Inky Pinkies #2411 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Paper Funday #63 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Time Out #259 - Birds of a Feather
Word Art Wednesday #639/640 - Anything Goes (5th entry)

This card is really quite left field for me but I had a lot of fun and enjoyed making it, and can share it now that it has arrived safely.

Whilst making the above card I did a bit of experimenting with Zig pens scribbled on acetate and spritzed with water. I didn’t use the results on the card, but with some leftover ink on my acetate I created a mop up background on a scrap of card, and decided to make a quick and simple ATC with it … here it is.


I created a mop up background on a scrap of card with Zig pens scribbled on acetate, then cut the inky background to 3.25” x 2.25”. I added silhouette stamping flower, beetle and background text, then stamped the sentiment onto separate card, cut out and attached. I added white gel pen highlights and a touch of sparkle pen before matting onto a black border - job done!
 
Stamps: Woodware Mini Floral Silhouettes, Additions (background text), Blooming (sentiment);
Media: Kuretake Zig Clean Colour watercolour brush pens; Versamark Clair (Nocturne, Charming Pink); gel pen (white); Spectrum Noir sparkle pen (clear).

Challenges I would like to enter:

Allsorts #7734/774 - Keep It Simple
Beautiful Blossoms #15 - Anything Floral Goes (3rd entry)
Creative Fingers #274 - Anything Goes
Little Red Wagon #748 - Florals (2nd entry)
Mix It Up #70 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Outlawz (March) - Anything Goes in a Card Free Zone (3rd entry)
We Love 2 Create #2 2024 - Anything Mixed Media Goes (3rd entry)

Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

22 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Your colorful quirky bird really pops on the gray background! This is funky and fun, Pauline. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Just Us Girls!

Donna Walls said...

The quirky birds are fun and I love the pops of color against the dark gray background. Thanks for sharing your lovely card with us at The Paper Funday Challenge. We look forward to seeing more from you soon.
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge

Donna Walls said...

I'm popping back in to say Thanks for sharing your fun ATC with us at The Beautiful Blossoms Challenge. I love the inky color combo and silhouette images.
Donna xx

baileyrosy.com said...

thank you so much for sharing your beautiful card with us at Colorful Options with this fun rainbow card. I love the quirky design and your fantastic use of colour.

Marie

brenda said...

Lovely pops of colour today Pauline, those birdies really are very quirky, many thanks for sharing at Allsorts challenge.

B x

Ellibelle said...

They both turned out so beautifully with those gorgeous colors and stamps! I can see how much time was put into the first card and it was definitely well worth the effort. And I always love the easy way yo create card with a "mopped up" background and silhouette stamps.
Great to see you at Allsorts challenge, thanks so much for joining us!

Carol said...

This is a fun style of stamping! I feel like I have some fabric just like your quirky birds with a drawing-like pattern mixing a sold background and bright, fun colors. Thanks for sharing this unique card design with us at Just Us Girls!

Taty said...

a very particular and highly effective card, a mixture of techniques to convey a truly important current message. Thanks for joining Creative Knouckouts Taty x DT

Marjeta said...

Super cards. Thanks for playing with us at Creative Knockouts.

Chrissy said...

Beautiful ATC with fabulous background..
Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Little Red Wagon, hope you will play again..

Luv CHRISSYxx

AlisonC said...

A great idea for your birds and you have managed it perfectly. The inside is also lovely , I rarely get that far. I love the inking on the ATC, definitely too good to waste.

coldwaters2 said...

Beautiful card Pauline love the silhouette stamp the background is perfect for showing it in it's full glory thank you for joining us at Allsorts
hugs
lolo x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! I love those birds, love how you did the middle on, her certainly stands out. Fun and colourful. The ATC is another stunner. x

Greta said...

Beautifully artistic work! Happy to see your first project in our gallery at Time Out. Just a reminder, after the collaboration we return to the rule of only 5 challenges including ours. Thanks so much, Greta (Time Out Challenges DT)

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Lovely colours in the background on this ATC Pauline. Thanks for sharing at Allsorts this week.
Lorraine

Sarn said...

The rainbow bird really stands out on your card. Nice and quirky.

Absolutely LOVE your colourful "mop up background" ATC.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Paper Scissors Glitter said...

Love the quirky birds and background you've created for your card. Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Inspirations Jayne DT

Sandra said...

Beautiufl ATC card!! Love it! Thanks for joining The Outlawz ATG in a cardfree zone challenge!!

Catie Cuddles said...

What fabulous cards!
Thank you for joining us at Creative Knockouts.
Happy crafting!
Catherine x DT

Nonni said...

Wonderful artsy, mixed media card! I really love the spotlight you created, perfect for the message of the card. Sorry for being a bit late with my commenting rounds... But thank you for joining us at Time Out and I hope to see you joining our current 'Striped' challenge as well!

Hi! I'm Shirley and said...

Love your ATC! Thank you for sharing this with us at The Outlawz Anything Goes in a Card Free Zone Challenge. ---Shirley

Aimeslee Winans said...

I love your bloom, Pauline, the background is stunning!
Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Beautiful Blossoms Challenge!
xoxo, Aimeslee DT