Wednesday 17 May 2023

I Spy With My Little Eye #3


Hi everyone, I'm back after a couple of non-crafty weeks due to being away in Derbyshire for 10 days over the Coronation period (which also included my birthday), followed by a week of trying to catch up with myself whilst partaking in Eurovision fever which was sweeping Liverpool where I live last week … but more of that later! So grab a cup of tea - it's going to be a long post!!

Today is the 3rd Wednesday of the month already. so it's time once more for a new I Spy With My Little Eye... challenge over at Ellibelle's Corner.  This month's theme was chosen by me, and it is...

I Spy With My Little Eye ... Something With Wings

There are lots of options that you could choose, so we hope you will be able to join us. We also have two brilliant guest designers joining us this month - Gundi from Papierelle and Katrina from ScrappyHorses, so please do visit the challenge post and get some more inspiration.

I made a conscious decision  with this card to use an older stamp for a change, and I remembered I had this lovely Woodware vintage style butterfly.  Having decided on that I also felt motivated to use a number of snippets so that I could complete my homework for the Snippets Playground, including a small one of white stamping card, a large 6" x 6" snippet which I had previously used to create a faux woodgrain background, and a couple of larger snippets of coloured cardstock for matting. I even found a small snippet of lace to use on the front ... do I get extra brownie points for that??

Here's the result.


I previously made my background on a 6" square piece of card by dragging Distress Oxide inks over it to form a "faux woodgrain" effect, then softly stencilling with more DOX through my Lavinia "Divine" stencil (it's actually so soft that you can hardly see it on the finished card!!). For this card I added some 2nd generation sepia background stamping of a woven burlap pattern, then stamped my "vintage" wording also in sepia ink. I die cut a deckled rectangle shape from my white card snippet, and stamped the butterfly in sepia and heat embossed. I then created a smooshed background with Antique Linen and Old Paper DOX, and blended Vintage Photo DOX round the edges, before colouring the butterfly with Stormy Sky DOX. 

I matted the image onto my background panel, then added lace and twine before matting onto three layers of card stock which all had their edges distressed with my distressing tool. I stamped the birthday sentiment (which I masked off to spread over 2 lines) with Pinecone Versafine Clair and coloured the letters with Vintage Photo DOX, and added a couple of pieces of washi tape. Finally I added a die cut flower to the right of the main image, and matted the finished piece onto a 7" square card blank.

Stamps: Woodware Butterfly, Made For You (birthday sentiment); Indigo Blu Sarah's Choice (background stamping);
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Antique Linen, Old Paper, Stormy Sky, Frayed Burlap, Vintage Photo); Versafine (Vintage Sepia); Versafine Clair (Pinecone);
Tools: Lavinia stencil - Divine; Spellbinders Nestabilities - Deckle Rectangle die; unbranded flower die (Amazon); Tim Holtz distressing tool;
Other: Washi tape - Craft Sensations at The Range; lace and twine from my stash.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Allsorts #728 - Anything Goes with option Embellish It
C.R.A.F.T. #677 - Birthday
Crafty Catz #637 - Anything Goes with option Add Ribbon, Lace or Twine
Creative Crafting Uncles #41 - Butterflies - TOP 3
Let's Craft and Create #195 - Anything Goes with option Use Ribbon, Lace and/or Twine
Sparkles Forum #164 - Things With Wings
Stamping Sensations (May) - Anything Stamped with option Add a Stencil
Use your Stuff #484 - Use a Technique 
(faux woodgrain inking)

The I Spy challenge starts on the 3rd Wednesday of each month, and will end on the Sunday before the next challenge starts at 23;39 US Central Time - so that's Sunday June 18th.

Please do pop over to Ellie's blog to see the fab creations of her and our guest designers, and link up your winged creations here.

As I mentioned at the start of this post, I've had a busy couple of weeks with holidays and Eurovision fever. Here are a few pics of the adorable animals we encountered at Yorkshire Wildlife Park while we were in Derbyshire, the and last but not least .... Liverpool does Eurovision!! I went with my husband into the city centre twice - one evening to see an English National Opera performance of Eurovision hits in the Eurovision "fan village" in front of the historic Liver Building on Liverpool waterfront, and the second time we just wandered around the city on the afternoon of the Eurovision final. It was absolutely teeming with people, the busiest I've ever seen it.! The general consensus in the media seems to be that Liverpool hosted a fantastic two week music festival, and it is projected to boost the Merseyside economy by £250 million over the next 2 years!!

Yorkshire Wildlife Park





Eurovision comes to Liverpool







Phew! I think that's enough for today ... I'm getting back into the swing with crafting now so hope to  be back soon with more makes.

Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

17 comments:

Brenda said...

Thanks so much for celebrating with us and sharing your wonderful creation with us over at CRAFT Challenge this week!

Linby said...

A beautiful card with the soft tones. Thanks for sharing at Stamping Sensations.
Great photos too. Thanks for sharing the Eurovision ones, I love the bird.

papierelle said...

Your card has a wonderful nostalgic charm and it is very coherent all around. And thank you for allowing me to support you as a guest designer this month. Gundi

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful monochrome card love the neutral colours,lace and butterfly-great pics too.
Carol x
Thank you for joining us at Stamping Sensations
Carol DT x

Ellibelle said...

A beautifully done card Pauline, the butterfly is gorgeous and you created a beautiful background for it. I almost made a butterfly card too, then Lavinia butterfly, as non of them turned out as I wanted to I quickly made the bird card. Yea, it wasn't a good crafty Monday for me LOL. Lucily there was still Tuesday before the challenge :)
Enjoyed seeing the photos too. How fabulous that Liverpool got to host the Eurovision Song Contest!
So great to see you link up with us at Allsorts challenge too!

brenda said...

Pretty card and photos Pauline.

B x

Di said...

What lovely photos of Liverpool Pauline. I'd seen those adorable birdies on TV, but didn't realise just how big they are - yet still very cute! LOVE your card, that was a load of work, but worth it for the fabulous result.

Hugs
Di xx

Sheryl said...

Love the vintage feel to this pretty card.
Thank you so much for entering our birthday blog hop at CRAFT Challenge with this fantastic project.
Hugs Sheryl CRAFT DT xx

corysnana said...

What a fun mixed media style card, Pauline. Love the textures you added, too. Thanks for linking your creation up on the Let's Craft & Create Blog this month. All the best, Cathy LC&C DT

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

A fabulous card
Thank you for joining us at Crafty Catz Challenge Blog good luck Ginny DT for Crafty Catz Challenge Blog
My Blog

Mervi said...

Great pics from Liverpool. Our Cha Cha Cha was really successful, TOP 1 in many countries now!

Your card is wonderful in vintage style, beautiful butterfly!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Sarn said...

LOVE this vintage-feel card. You have used all the elements to great effect. I'm sure Miss Di will give you some extra brownie points for using up a snippet of lace on top of your other snippets!
Thanks for coming to play in the Snippets Playground. Come and enjoy a cocktail (or two) up in the Treehouse later! Hugs, Sarn x

PS: Thanks for sharing those photo's. xxx

Liz said...

Beautiful card Pauline, great design and I love all the texture. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week. Good luck!
Liz xx

Tammy L said...

Stunning! So many amazing textures and layers and great techniques! Really well done. Thanks for joining our technique challenge at Use Your Stuff this week! Come play with us again in our next challenge!
Tammy DT Co-ordinator

Haven_mom4 said...

I always love the extra photos you post after your project. Thanks for digging into your older stamps to share with us at Use Your Stuff.

pinky said...

Gorgeous card Pauline but I am so jealous of your trip!! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
Pinky

Mrs.B said...

A lovely vintage card Pauline, love the sepia tones.
Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations. Avril x