Wednesday 24 August 2022

Magical Birthday


Good afternoon all,

I don't have a lot of birthday cards to make throughout the year, but right now birthdays are coming along like buses .. yesterday was both a family member and a friend's birthdays.  My dear friend Christine gifted me a Lavinia voucher for my birthday earlier this year, so I thought it would be good to make her a magical Lavinia birthday card ... and here it is.


The underlying premise of this card was that I wanted to try making bubbles, so the whole design was based around that! 

First I used a circle mask and sponged Distress Oxide inks to create my sun and sky, then hill masks to create my landscape. I stamped my fairy Olivia with the flower head of her dandelion masked, so I could then hand draw a bubble blower with a fine liner. I created my bubbles with a home made circle mask and various colours of DO + Posca pen highlights following the method in this Natasha Foote Youtube tutorial, then I additionally outlined the bubbles with Sakura stardust pen. I actually made an error at this point as I meant to outline all the bubbles with my clear sparkle pen, but I accidentally picked up my gold pen for one of the smaller bubbles, and drew round the left side before I noticed. Luckily I thought this looked a bit like the sun's reflection, so I outlined the left sides of all the other bubbles in gold to match!! 

I stamped my fence and gate plus a variety of trees and flowers using various colours of Versafine Clair and 1st/2nd generation stamping, then coloured my fairy wings and added more highlights with my Sakura sparkle pens. I reverse masked the sun and added some 2nd generation text stamping over it. At this point I wasn't sure where to place the sentiment, so decided to encase it in the largest bubble; so I masked a sentiment to allow me to stamp it over several lines. I finished by outlining the image panel with black pen and matting onto pearlescent turquoise card stock.

Stamps: Lavinia - Olivia small, Tree of Faith, Small Trees, Gate and Fence, Wild Summer Flower, Bluebells, Field Grass, Birds, Faerie Spells; Crafter's Companion - Magical Sentiments;
Media: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks (Tumbled Glass, Squeezed Lemonade, Mown Lawn, Rustic Wildreness, Spun Sugar, Shaded Lilac, Salvaged Patina, Salty Ocean); Versafine Clair (Nocturne, Pinecone, Green Oasis, Charming Pink, Warm Breeze); Sakura Stardust pens (clear, pink, gold).

Challenges I would like to enter:

AAA Birthdays #40 - Anything Birthday Goes (2nd entry)
Arty Divas (August) - Anything Goes
Country View Challenges (August) - Happy Birthday (3rd entry)
Lost Coast Portal to Creativity #150 - Silhouettes (2nd entry)
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Shimmer and Shine
Stamping Sensations (August) - Make It Magical (2nd entry)
Through the Craft Room Door - Anything Goes (3rd entry)
We love Stamping (August) - In the Garden (2nd entry)
Word Art Wednesday #557/558 - Anything Goes (3rd entry)

That's me done for today, though I had so much fun creating those bubbles I think I will be back with more before too long! Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

16 comments:

Sarn said...

Gorgeous card. Your bubbles worked out brilliantly. Xxx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I've said it before I'll say it again, your scenes are amazing, those bubbles look real, another fabulous creation Pauline.
Faith x

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Fabulous card
Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge atThrough The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge. Good luck Ginny
My Bl og As I do Rodos

brenda said...

You pulled the bubbles off perfectly Pauline and it adds so much extra magic to your card. Did you know Sainsbury's sell large adult size 'bubble blowers'? One of the Grandkids bought some last week and they are great fun!!

Lovely to see you at Allsorts and We Love Stamping challenges, many thanks for joining in.

B x

Lynn said...

This card and the last one are fabulous! I can't stop looking at them and wishing I was talented like you. The colors you chose and scenes you set up are absolutely breathtaking. Please continue to share your inspirational creations.

Jane said...

Stunning! The bubbles are so beautiful, clever you! Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

Linby said...

Absolutely fabulous bubbles on your oh so pretty card. Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations challenge.

Angela said...

Great card. Thanks for playing along with us this month at Arty Divas. Angela (DT) xoxo

Lorraine said...

This is gorgeous Pauline. I love the scene you've created for your fairy and the bubbles look fantastic.
Lorraine x

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is so gorgeous, those bubbles look so real I wanted to lean in and pop one. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at We Love Stamping.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Nonni said...

The bubbles look really great! Love the pastel, springy feel of this scene! Thank you for joining us at AAA Birthday again!

Jane.D said...

What a gorgeous card, and those bubbles look amazing! Thank you for sharing and playing along with us at AAA Birthday, hope to see you in future challenges too! Take care and keep crafting!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning card! I love your colour palette, it really adds a magical feel to your fairy design 😊. Thanks so much for joining us at Country View Challenges! Hugs Jo x

Karen Letchworth said...

This is super pretty. Thanks so much for sharing your talent and creativity with us at Word Art Wednesday. It's always SO appreciated.
Blessings!

coldwaters2 said...

Gosh those bubbles look amazing so is the magical scene you have created top-notch work
hugs
lorraine x

ionabunny said...

Fabulous scene and love the bubbles. Thanks for joining the fun at the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity. Hugz