Monday 7 October 2024

Christmas Kraft


Hi everyone, well I’m still playing with my new Tracy Evans Christmas stamps, and a good job too as the pressure is now starting to ramp up to get on with Christmas makes. Today’s card features the larger silhouette bauble stamps, stamped on kraft card which I always like for Christmas crafting, and is also inspired by the fact that Tracy has made a few sample Christmas cards using kraft with white accents.

I have to confess that I had quite a bit of trouble with this card … it was one of those crafting sessions where multiple things seemed to go wrong - I think a lot of the problems may have been caused by the kraft card I used which absorbed a lot of ink! Anyhoo I soldiered on and here’s the result.


I cut a 5 1/4” square of kraft card, and stamped two large baubles using Strawberry and Green Oasis Versafine Clair, then stamped holly branches in various shades of green and berries in 1st and 2nd generation red. I added shading to the baubles and shadows using Zig pens, though I wasn’t as happy with this as on my previous card as the kraft card seemed to soak up the ink making it impossible to blend satisfactorily. I then added background script stamping heat embossed white, and  this was where I hit my second major problem … despite drying my project with a heat tool and using an anti static bag beforehand, white embossing powder stuck EVERYWHERE!! In fact this is my second attempt .. the first attempt didn’t bear scrutiny! I think the large amount of ink I needed to stamp the baubles onto kraft card caused it so clearly a longer drying time will be required in future! 

Anyhow, I carried on regardless, adding more background script stamping in Sand Dune, and adding lighter definition to the baubles with a Stabilo pencil and my sparkle pen. I added white Posca accents to the baubles and leaves, and some Posca spatters over the whole surface. I stamped the sentiment onto a separate snippet of Kraft card then cut out, edged and attached with a pair of teeny birdies stamped to sit on top. Finally I matted the finished panel onto a white pearlescent card frame and a Kraft card blank.

Stamps: Tracy Evans Boutique Designs TE18 Decorations, TE21 Holly & Berries, TE11 Background Elements, TE30 Garden Elements;
Media: Versafine Clair (Strawberry, Green Oasis, Shady Lane, Rainforest, Sand Dune, Portobello, Pinecone; Kuretake Zig Clean Color watercolour pens; Stabilo pencil (white); Posca pen (white); Spectrum Noir sparkle pen (clear).

Challenges I would like to enter:

12 Months of Christmas #115 - Anything Christmas Goes (3rd entry)
Allsorts #801 - Anything Goes
Love to Craft #82 - Anything Goes (3rd entry)
Love to Scrap #169 - Anything Goes (2nd entry)
Merry Little Christmas #58 - Anything Christmas Goes (5th entry)
Simon Says (Monday) - Christmas/Winter Card (3rd entry)
Simon Says (Wednesday) - Things With Wings (3rd entry)
Word Art Wednesday #667/668 - Anything Goes (5th entry)

This card was very much an experiment, and although I love the overall design of it the execution is rather rough and ready! However onwards and upwards .. I guess it’s all a learning process!!

Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

5 comments:

Aquarius said...

Your perseverance has paid off for this lovely card - we are always our own sternest critics šŸ˜‰. I also like kraft card used in this way but it certainly behaves differently as you observed. Just have to go with the flow.

Linby said...

I love your use of the kraft card for this design, it makes everything pop.

crafty-stamper said...

WOW fabulous card and bauble stamps, love the traditional colours against the craft and the two little birds.
Carol x

brenda said...

Patience paid off Pauline, the traditional colours on Kraft look really good. I'm never keen embossing on Kraft as it seems to bow more than most cards and tried several types and weights.

As for Elemets, don't they just! I had a session before my fortnightly nail appointment, no amount of washing would remove the staining, oranges and reds of all colours. SO was only one option, orange nails!

Many thanks for linking up at Allsorts with your lovely seasonal make.

B x

Ellibelle said...

I'm sorry you had trouble making this card, but it did turn out absolutely beautiful. Love the colors and the stamps are gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing at Allsorts challenge!