Tuesday 12 January 2010

Steaming hot chocolate!

When I saw that the challenge theme this week over at Simon Says Stamp and Quixotic Challenge #8 is Hot Chocolate, my first thought about what I would most like to make was a cup of this ....

I bought this dinky stocking filler for my husband for Christmas, and what with all the snow, the bitterly cold temperatures plus the fact that I have been confined to the house for the past 4 days with a stinking head cold (this afternoon is the first time for a few days I have felt vaguely human!) it just seemed like the obvious choice!

However I soon realised this wouldn't really cut it in blogland, so I managed to make a card. Willow on the front looks pretty much how I feel ... desperate to keep warm and soothe herself with hot drinks lol! Excuse the electric light photo but there has never really been any decent daylight today all day long.

I tried to follow the hot chocolate theme both in terms of the image and colour scheme, and I also followed the sketch (which I rotated) for this week's Secret Crafter #65.


I also made this card to fit with the themes of the following challenges:

Charisma Cardz #1 - colour combo pink, brown, cream and toffee
Crafty Calendar #4 - Keeping Warm (image associated with keeping warm, plus optional extra of texture)
Cupcake #73 - Going Girly
Creative Inspirations #24 - Distressing (I sponged the edges of the image, and also lightly distressed the embossing on the two plain pieces of paper).

Recipe:
Main image: WOJ "Willow with hot chocolate", coloured with watercolour pencils, and edges sponged with Versamark chalk ink;
Sentiment: Craftwork Cards "Oh! My Words";
Papers: BasicGrey "Bittersweet", "Sugared" and "Two Scoops";

Supplies: flowers - Prima and Petaloo; pearl brads and spacers from The Hobby House; ribbon by American Crafts; heart charm from Jackie's Charms and Crafts Shop;
Tools: large classic ovals and large oval scalloped nestabilities; Martha Stewart "doily lace" edge punch; Cuttlebug "Perfectly Paisley" embossing folder; X-Cut distressing tool (for lightly distressing the embossed paper).

Off to keep warm now with more hot drinks!

21 comments:

Jane (Carroll's Creations) said...

Lovely

thanks for joining us on SCSC :)

Hugs Jane x

Cathy said...

Gorgeous card Pauline. I must stamp this Willow up again, and the distressed embossing is fab.
Thank you for joining in the SCSC this time.
Hugs
Cathy xx

Stampin Mindy said...

What a cute bag and card, so many details. BEautiful work.

Lorraine A said...

Beautiful card Pauline :-) and the hot choccy gift bag is fab too ! :-) bet your hubby loved that :-)

thanks for joining the Simon Says Hot Choccy Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x

The Crafty Den said...

What a gorgeous card. Such a pretty image and the papers are definitely girly! Thanks for joining us at cupcake craft challenge this week. Hugs, Denise x

Allison said...

so pretty
Thanks for joining us at Charisma this week
AllisonX

Christine said...

Great card love the colours great take on the skecth thanks for joining us at SCSC.

Hugs Christine xx

Unknown said...

Wow, such stunning creations! I love them both! Gorgeous papers and such pretty embellishments! Thanks for joining us at the Crafty Calendar Challenge! :)
Georgia xx

Lynne in NI said...

Oh she's fabulous Pauline! Love your pretty papers too!
Hope you've managed to warm up (I always plant my cold feet on my DH in bed and he says its like torture!)
:D

Mel X said...

Hi Pauline, hope your feeling better real soon! Great card, fab papers and lovely image, coloured in beautifully. Love the flowers and the charm

Thanks for joining us this week at SCSC and good luck in the draw

Mel X

Mel said...

Beautiful card Pauline love all the detail.
hugs Mel

Sally said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. Your card is fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Charisma Cardz.

Uma said...

lovely, nice colour theme - makes me feel like cuppa right now!

Riet said...

What a gorgeous creations,i love your image and papers.

Hugs Riet.xx

Squirrel x said...

What am I like? Meant to leave you a comment and then got distracted by popping over to the challenges you listed! Silly squirrel. Well hun, I could do with a mug of what she's got this morning (I think). Sat at home with a spinning head and a wobbly tum so maybe hot choc not the best idea, but I shall be following her lead and keeping warm. Gorgeous card, great image, and I love the warm rich colours you've chosen. Superb. Hope your cold is getting better. Hugs, Squirrel xx

Tracy said...

Hi Pauline hope you feel better soon.
Beautiful card and image,love all the elements!!!
Thanks for joining us over at Creative Inspirations this week and goodluck.
Hugs
Tracy
xxx

cheryl said...

brilliant card and bag such wonderful papers and images too thanks for playing along at creative inspirations this week hugs cheryl xxxxxxx

Enfys said...

Well, she looks lovely and cozy all tucked up with her cocoa, lovely card. Hope you feel better very soon,
big hugs
En xx

Carole said...

Gorgeous creations...thanks for joining us at QC.
carole

Donna said...

Gorgeously girly card Pauline, absolutely love all the detail on this card! Thanks for joining us at Cupcake this week :) Donna x

Lorraine A said...

Lovely card :-) I saw this earlier :-)

Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp Challenge and DT call :-)
Luv
Lols x x x