Thursday 4 July 2024

Back in the saddle!


Hi everyone, here I am with my first post for a while, and yesterday afternoon was my first crafting session for almost a month as things went a bit off plan the past 3 weeks!

 Three and a half weeks ago I went on holiday to Dubrovnik in Croatia, which is a really wonderful place and well worth visiting (please see further down post for some photos). Everything was going well for the first 5 days, but on day 6 I woke up feeling rough and after breakfast I went back to bed, where I lay all day feeling really ropey and suspecting that having avoided it for over 4 years, Covid had finally found me! The following morning I thought I felt a bit better but then disaster struck … I fainted in the shower, hitting my head (I think on a blunt metal door handle!) and ended up with my husband taking me to hospital in a taxi where I had a CT scan (and a Covid test!). Mercifully the CT scan was clear (unlike the Covid test!) but I had a terrible bang on my head which I could hardly touch, a nasty bruise on my temple and felt incredibly shocked, fearful and wobbly! Ironically the standard Covid symptoms were very mild, and I was up and about after 2 days but I had to take it VERY easy due to the head injury, go back to hospital for a quick check the next day, and also wear a medical grade FPP mask everywhere indoors in the hotel and on the plane home which absolutely drained me! I continued to test positive for nearly 2 weeks, and even now there is a small tender area on my head! I’ve still hardly been out and  I’m still monitoring myself as I have still been feeling wobbly, but hopefully things have started to improve a lot the past couple of days. All in all, a holiday which in some ways I’d rather forget! 

So, back to cardmaking … I feel really out of practice and was struggling to feel inspired, but here’s my first share in a while.


I stamped my image and coloured with Zig pens, blended out with a water brush. I then added some stencilling to one side using Elements ink, and some background word stamping. I then added a stamped sentiment and matted the panel onto black and pale pink card stock and a 6” square card blank. To finish I added some small butterflies punched from glitter card to pick out the colours in the image, and added Glossy Accents to the perfume bottle and some washi tape fragments.

Unfortunately my last minute decision to add washi tape was a classic example of not knowing when to leave it alone, as I smudged my Glossy Accents so had to apply another layer! The end result is a bit thick and bumpy for my liking, but hey it’s done now! Here is an angled pic to show the shine.


Stamps: AALL & Create #841 Le Parfum, #457 Background Voices; Visible Image Birthday Wishes;
Media: Versafine Clair (Nocturne, Morning Mist); Kuretake Zig Clean Color watercolour pens; Lavinia Elements ink (Blue Lagoon); Posca pen (white); Glossy Accents;
Tools: Darkroom Door stencil - Diamonds; X-Cut mini butterfly punch;  washi tape from The Range.

Challenges I would like to enter:

AAA Birthday #63 - Fabulous Flowers
Allsorts #787 - Way to Grow (flowers)
C.R.A.F.T. #726 - Anything Goes
Cards 4 Galz #228 - Inspired By a Book
(The Perfume Collector)
Dream Valley #318 - Summer Colours
Everybody Art #561 - We Love Stamping
Inkspirational #319 - Use Stencils
(my main image is new)
Sweet Stampin’ - Fabulous Flowers
Triple B (July) - Birds, Butterflies and/or Blooms
We Love 2 Create #6 - Anything Mixed Media Goes

Going back to our disastrous holiday, on the upside we had already seen most of the sights of Dubrovnik before I fell ill and had my accident. The Old Town is really gorgeous … here are a few photos, including my husband sitting on the Iron Throne!!





















So, back to reality, and hopefully back to productivity on the cardmaking front. Apologies but I’m sure you can understand I haven’t done as much commenting as usual over the past weeks, so I probably won’t catch up with everything now .. but onwards and upwards! 

Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

18 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

WOW some holiday and hope you are back to feeling 100% better soon.Love all the holiday pics though and your beautiful card and beautifully coloured image.
Carol x

Aquarius said...

A lovely image and beautiful colouring, great idea to add glossy accents for the bottle. Great that you managed to see most of the sights before things went 'pear-shaped' and thanks for sharing the pics. Feel better soon, happy crafting 😊

brenda said...

We exchanged mails last week so up to date but it's nice to see you back at your craft desk with such a pretty card. Many thanks for sharing it with us at Allsorts

B x

Taty said...

wow the card is fantastic I love the pastel colors and the background. the timbto with flowers and perfume is beautiful colored perfectly congratulations and good luck. Thanks for joining the Craft Challenge Taty x DT

Diane said...

Your card is downright beautiful, I love every detail about it! Your vacation pictures are beautiful too and what an amazing place it must of been to visit! I am so sorry to hear about your accident and that nasty word 'covid' will that ever go away, probably not but glad you had just a mild case of it especially when you were away from home!! Feel better soon!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Stencil Fun!
Diane SF Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Stencil Fun}
NEW {Love Those Pretty Papers}

Ellibelle said...

Your card is absolutely beautiful with those gorgeous colors, you are such a pro at coloring with the zig markers! Fabulous background too with all the great details and love the sparkle!

I read about your trip on Facebook but did so on my phone so didn't leave a comment (it's getting harder and harder for me to type on my phone!!!)
I'm so glad you are recovering well from your head injury as well as Covid. It's never a good time to be ill but even worse while on a trip. You got some good pictures though and I'm glad you got to visit the beautiful city before the illness.
Thanks so much for sharing at Allsorts challenge!

Chris said...

Oh dear, not quite the holiday you planned Pauline! Sorry to read about the accident and the Covid, glad you're feeling better now. Croatia is a beautiful country to visit, we went there years ago when it was still Yugoslavia and had a wonderful time, my daughter and SIL went 2 years ago... sat on the same throne...and would definitely go there again. Your card is gorgeous, stunning as always.
xx

Linby said...

This was on my list before the war broke out and then I've never got around to going! Pity about your illness and fall but you did get some great pics before then.

A pretty card and I think the glossy accents look fine. I know what you mean about not leaving alone...

Gail said...

Oh dear. Hope fully you are on the mend from Covid and your fall.
Pretty card! Lots of details, thank you for sharing at Allsorts!

Liz said...

Beautiful card, a lovely design and a great idea to add the Glossy Accents. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts challenge this week.
Your holiday photos look wonderful, but so sorry to hear that you had an accident and were unwell. Hope you will soon be fully recovered.
Liz xx

Sarn said...

Yay! You’re BACK! What a trooper you are.
Was so sorry to hear about your holiday troubles. Always wanted to visit Dubrovnik and your pictures make me want to go even more now. The place looks beautiful.

Your card is awesome. Love the background and that stamp is a fave of mine, so this card really works for me!!! I hope you continue to improve health wise xxx

Kerry C said...

Beautiful card, I love what you have done. Thanks for entering this week's CRAFT Challenge. Kerry (DT)

Uschi said...

Stunning design! Great stamp and background! I love this perfume bottle nestled in all these beautiful flowers. The background and colors match the image perfectly. It looks so enchanting. And the three butterflies are really the icing on the cake. Their glittery surface is just great.
Thank you for taking part in the current Everybody Art Challenge.
Hugs, Uschi

And wow – fabulous holiday! It looks like you had a great time :)

Tristan said...

What a fabulous card Pauline. So many great elements. That soft stencilled background is perfect behind the flowers and perfume bottle. Thanks for joining us at AAA Birthday.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a rough time of it lately and hope that you are feeling back to normal very soon.
A lovely card, the colours are so pretty and the added glossy accents really make the focal image pop.
Lorraine

Catie Cuddles said...

Lovely card - really lovely.
Sorry to hear you had such an eventful in a bad way holiday but Dubrovnik looked lovely.
Take care.
thanks for joining us at Addicted to stamps and more.
happy crafting!
Catherine x DT

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Gorgeous card Pauline and wonderful photos of your trip. Sorry to hear you fell poorly and hurt yourself too. Not such a great memory of that time, but wow, what fabulous pics! Fun one of hubby on the iron throne! Great choice of card for our 'Flowers' challenge at Sweet Stampin'. Thanks for joining in the fun with us. Hugs, Wends xoxo Sweet Stampin' DT

Darlene said...

Oh Pauline, welcome back! Your card is beautiful! I'm so sorry to hear all that you've been going through! Glad you're finally on the mend. Thanks for sharing the photos of your holiday ... my son-in-law is from Dubrovnik in Croatia, and I know my daughter & granddaughter would love to go abroad but just aren't financially up to it right now. Glad you were at least able to enjoy SOME of your holiday. I had a similar situation when we went to Australia then cruised the islands finishing up in Bora Bora & Tahiti. I was good for the first week & a half then the final leg of our holiday I was sick as a dog! No fun!! Feel better!!
Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Triple B challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power