Sunday 15 September 2024

Ruby Wedding ❤️🌅🦢


Hi everyone, today I would like to share a very special card that I made recently for my darling husband - a card for our ruby wedding anniversary (40 years). ❤️

Earlier in the year I bought the Lavinia swan stamps with a view to using them for this occasion - I thought they would be particularly appropriate as they do say swans mate for life! However I spent quite a while racking my brain as all my ideas for romantic layouts involving hearts seemed to be very similar to previous cards I have made (he has in the past received several romantic moonlit scenes!!). Then suddenly, and quite rarely for me, I had a burst of inspiration … our favourite romantic holiday destination is Santorini which is famous for its sunsets, so I decided to make a water scene with the sun setting behind the hills. 🌅 It also gave me opportunity to incorporate the colour red in a natural way, as that is a colour my husband normally hates! I have called this one “Sunset over the Caldera”…. I’m aware that this scene is really a lake rather than the ocean, but in the magical world of Lavinia anything is possible!! 


I cut a 16.5cm square of stamping card and masked off a square using masking sheet. I used a paper mask to create a horizon and a circle mask for the setting sun, then blended Sundance, Russet Orange and Paprika Elements inks and Bordeaux Spectrum Noir ink to form my sky. I then removed the masks and blended the same colours on the bottom half of the image panel for the lake, but without the circle mask so the reflection of the sun was not defined. I defined the horizon with the straight edge of a hill mask and Nocturne Versafine Clair, then added hills and their reflections using my Mini Hill masks and blended VFC. 

I stamped the bulrushes in the bottom corners then stamped my two swans and a cascade of red hearts. I added some leafy foliage in the top corners, then added some depth to the scene by blending Graphite Elements around the edges. I removed the masking sheet and highlighted the scene with Sakura Stardust pens and white Posca pen; I also added ripples to the water and highlighted them with Wink of Stella. 

I matted the finished scene onto a black border and then an 8” square card, and to finish added stamped sentiments and die cut numbers to show it is our 40th anniversary, plus a teeny “ruby” heart gem. 

Here is angled picture to show the sparkle.


As this is a special card I also added a bit of decoration to the inside of the card and the envelope too.



Stamps: Lavinia Swans, Bulrushes, Silhouette Foliage Set, Vine Flourish, Group of Hearts Mini; Woodware Happy Anniversary; Me to You (husband wording);
Media: Lavinia Elements inks (Sundance, Russet Orange, Paprika, Graphite); Spectrum Noir Harmony ink (Bordeaux); Versafine Clair (Nocturne);  Sakura Stardust pens (Orange, clear); Posca pen (white); Wink of Stella;
Tools: Provocraft Hippie Chick number dies; Lavinia Hill, Mini Hill and Circle acetate masks.

Challenges I would like to enter:

Allsorts #798 - Anything Goes
Alphabet Challenge - L is for Landscape (2nd entry)
Country View Challenges (September) - Autumn Richnes(2nd entry)
Crafty Catz #678 - Anything Goes
A Cut Above (September) - Use a Die Cut
Fab ‘n’ Funky #600 - Anniversaries
Love to Craft #82 - Anything Goes
Mix It Up #73 - Anything Goes
NBUS #66 - Use Your Never Before Used Schtuff
(Swan and bulrushes stamps)
Stamping Sensations (September) - Anything Goes with option Animal Magic (2nd entry)
Paper Funday #69 - Anything Goes with option Create Your Own Background
Triple B (September) - Birds, Blooms and/or Butterflies (2nd entry)
Try It On Tuesday - Make It Colourful
We Love 2 Create #8 - Anything Goes

Here is the original image panel without sentiments, which I am entering into Lavinia Creative Challenge (September) - Autumn Hues (2nd entry)


I must say that for once I’m very pleased with how this turned out - indeed it was a labour of love! ❤️❤️🦢

Take care, and thanks for visiting.
Hugs,

14 comments:

Aquarius said...

A truly beautiful and magical scene to celebrate your Ruby Anniversary. Congratulations.

Liz said...

Absolutely stunning card, Pauline. The scene you’ve created is fabulous! Many congratulations to you both on your 40th Wedding Anniversary. Hope you have a wonderful day. xx

brenda said...

Congratulations Pauline and what a lovely card it is to celebrate the special occasion, as I just said to Liz, seems it's a year for special wedding anniversaries.

Many thanks for sharing it with us at Allsorts - and I am absolutely certain there are fishies in that lake!

B x

crafty-stamper said...

Congratulations on your Ruby Wedding Anniversary. Stunning romantic card and scene, love all the stamps and sparkle.
Carol x
Thank you for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
Carol DT x

Viv said...

Congratulations!
A lovely anniversary card and thanks for sharing with us at TIOT

Vicki said...

Beautiful card! All of the masking and blending made for a lovely and serene setting for the swans. Congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary. Thanks for sharing at A Cut Above's Anything Goes With A Die Cut and optional Monochromatic Challenge.

Ellibelle said...

Happy 40th Anniversary!! What a stunning card you created for the occasion, it's a truly magical and romantic sunset scene, and the swans are gorgeous! I had no idea Lavinia had swan stamps until I saw your card.
Enjoy your special day!
And thank you so much for sharing at Allsorts challenge!

Becca S said...

Gorgeous!!! Congratulations for your milestone anniversary!! Using swans is a sweet symbolic way for your focal! Thanks for sharing for the "A" part of the BEWAS code of main themes at HQCOLCB!! Happy 40th Anniversary!!!

Deborah Frings said...

First, many congratulations on your Ruby Wedding Anniversary - wishing you many more. Second, wow! This is absolutely gorgeous. I love the symbolism of the swans and the beautiful landscape. Great work.

Sarn said...

Congrats on your Ruby Wedding Anniversary Pauline.
It really is an absolutely gorgeous card you've made for your hubby to celebrate your special day. xxx

Linby said...

Congrats on your Ruby Wedding Anniversary. This is a breath-taking card. Love the Sunset you achieved.

Darlene said...

WOW! A HUGE congrats on 40 years and what an AMAZING card to mark the occasion! Your sunset is GORGEOUS and I love how you carried the theme all the way thru to the envelope. Well done my friend and I'm sure hubby was very impressed (I know I am! lol).
Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Triple B challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power, Love Those Pretty Papers

Chris said...

Congrats on your Ruby anniversary Pauline, 40 years is a real milestone. You created such a beautiful and romantic card for your husband, a wonderful scene and glorious colours.
xx

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your Ruby Anniversary and thankyou for sharing your wonderful card with us at Allsorts. Sarah