Saturday 20 August 2011

Penny Black Saturday #165 - Shabby Chic


Good morning - it's Saturday and time for another Penny Black Saturday Challenge. Oops - just realised at 1.30pm my scheduled post didn't work - sorry! Thanks to everyone who joined in last week - fab entries as always! Sorry if I haven't managed to get round all my commenting .... I have had a rotten cold for a full 2 weeks now which for some reason I seem unable to shake off - oh the misery of sniffling and vicious nose blowing all day long!!

Anyhow ... onward and upward! This week we have a brilliant theme for you which I really love -

Shabby Chic

The possibiilties for this are endless .. cute creatures used in conjunction with shabby chic techniques, or you could use any of the vintage style figure stamps, or even go for a traditional look with florals (esp the fabby brushstroke stamps)! However just a quick reminder of the rules ... in order to qualify for the weekly prize you should submit a new piece of work which features a Penny Black image stamp, large sentiment or stickeroo is its main focus .. that's why we're called the Penny Black Saturday Challenge ;-).

And talking of prizes .. this week we have an adorable stanp for you from our lovely ex-teamie Carole

"Love Nip"


Awww!

Do hope you'll check out the shabby (but in a very good way!) examples created by the rest of the team - here is my effort for this week.


My starting point for this card was my Martha Stewart PATP punch set. I have used the individual punches several times, but had never yet created a completed PATP square as the size is slightly bigger than a normal square card (15.4 cm to be exact). However I started trying to think creatively, and decided to make an easel card whereby I would cut away the part of the easel which supports the front of the card, so that you would be able to see through the cut outs in the punchwork when the card is standing up. It was a bit fiddly but I'm actually rather pleased with the result :-)

I selected my BasicGrey papers on the basis of a shabby chic colour scheme, and then realised that the space  left for an image isn't very big ... so I turned to a cute but vintage style hedgie from one of my transparent sets - I'd never inked him up until now, shame on me!! I also tried to add a few other elements which I interpret as shabby chic such as lace, seam binding, vintage gold coloured spacers and charm, pearls, deckle edging and a vintage tag. This card actually took forever to produce, but I am pleased with it and think I will give it to one of my best friends for her birthday.


Recipe:
Main image: Penny Black transparent set "Tiny Wishes", coloured wtih Promarkers and edges distressed wtih TH distress ink;
Sentiment: See D "Celebration Messages":
Papers: BasicGrey "Capella" (thanks Laurie);
Supplies: Prima hydrangeas (thanks again Laurie!); seam binding from Wild Orchid Crafts (thanks Helen); pearls and spacers from The Hobby House; lace, brads and charm from my stash;
Tools: Martha Stewart "Wild Flowers" PATP; Magnlia doohickey "vintage tag" die; Leone Em "Ash Branch" leaf punch; X-Cut small butterfly punch.

As easel cards are so notoriously difficult to photograph, here's a closeup of the front.


Challenges:
Bunny Zoe's Challenge #15 - Easel Card
Fuzzy Wuzzy #12 - Shaped Card
Flutterby Wednesdays #167 - Punches or Die Cuts + a Butterfly
Fussy & Fancy #43 - Use A Lot
Fussy & Fancy 1000 followers - Celebrate Something
Papertake Weekly - Eyes Down, Look In
(Blooms/Pearls/Lace)
Ribbon Girl - Use Ribbon
Dream Valley #13 - Distressing
Penny Black at Allsorts (August) - Free & Easy (2nd entry)
BasicGrey #51 - Anything Goes

Hope you can join us at Penny Black Saturday this week - have a great weekend.

26 comments:

Claire said...

WOW Pauline, this is absolutely gorgeous, the image is really cute and looks fab with the shabby chic design. That PATP is just stunning, I never manage to get it right LOL. Hugs, Claire x

Andrea said...

fantastic Pauline! Wonderful papers and colors

Tine said...

Hi Pauline. Fabby card & the flowers work brilliantly with your paper choice. Thanks for joining us at I ♥ Promarkers.
Tine :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pauline, I saw this on the PB blog this morning before you had posted it and it took my breath away!! Absolutely stunning card; so much texture and detail! xxxx

yvon said...

Hi Pauline,
Wow, this is a stunner. So beautiful and love the PATP, it's gorgeous.
Hugs, Yvon

Helen said...

Beautiful card Pauline - the punched frame looks fabulous!

In answer to your question...I simply painted the Distress Inks on to the stamp using a paintbrush, taking the ink straight from the pad. I did the same on the 'Blooming Meadows' card (although that was a LOT more fiddly!), but I used my waterbrush then, as I didn't have an ordinary paintbrush with me...worked fine.
Helen x

Liz McGuire, said...

Wow, and double wow! A very special card,

Liz x

Nicola said...

Gorgeous card Pauline, I can see a lot of work has gone in to this beauty. Love easel cards and your finishing touches are stunning!
Thanks for entering our 'Lots of...' challenge at Fussy and Fancy this week and good luck!
(Make sure you enter your card separately for the 1000 follower celebration challenge or it wont count! Ignore this comment if I'm teaching you to suck eggs ((metaphorically speaking!))
Love Nicola xxx

Suvenkorento said...

Wonderful card! I love the punched frame, it makes the card look light. I love the papers and so many pretty details!

melsanford said...

Oh Gorgeous card! Love the image and fab distressing :-) Thankyou for joining us at Dream Valley! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Kath Stewart said...

absolutely stunning pauline...wow wow wow...can you tell I love it......enjoy the rest of your weekend...hugs kath xxx

Jo Nevill said...

Fantastic card ! Very, very pretty.

Thank you for joining us at BasicGrey Challenges this week.

Hugs,

Jo x

hazcrafter said...

love this card, it is just gorgeous!:) i too am entering the i <3 promarkers challenege,
whould you care to take a look?? thanks before, harry :)x

Sue said...

And well pleased you should be, this card is stunning. Love all your details, the papers, the stamp, and all the extra little embellishments. Great easel, using the patp technique. So very pretty. Thanks for sharing with us at the Fuzzy Wuzzy Challenge this month.

Hugs
Sue

Louise said...

Stunning card just so gorgeous,thanks for joining us at Penny black @ Allsorts
Louise xx

Danni said...

Gorgeous card!! Thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

NGCARDS said...

Wowee hun I love this! xxx

Tracy said...

A cute and pretty creation. Thanks for joining Penny Black @ Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Mervi said...

Hei Pauline,
Gorgeous card, thanks for the close up photo of that punched frame, awesome! It's stylish and cute the same time, lovely creation!

Thank you for sharing this with us at Penny Black at Allsorts, good luck and hope to see you again soon;-))m

Anonymous said...

This is just fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Dream Valley.xx

My name is Wynneth said...

Gorgeous PB image Pauline and a very, very pretty easel card. I love the lacy edging around the easel top, it's really effective. Thanks for joining us on I Love Promarkers this week.
hugs
wynneth
x

brenda said...

Hello Pauline

Sorry I am a bit late getting here, but had a bit of a manic weekend of teaching.

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely work and joining us at Penny Black at Allsorts this month and good luck with the draws.

B x

Anonymous said...

Pauline
WOW!!! Such a beautiful easel card, thanks for sharing!
Thank you for playing along in the challenge this week @ I ♥ Promarkers.

Kristie W. said...

This is stunning, Pauline! I love all the details you added and the border of the top easel piece is so pretty! Thank you for playing along with Flutter By Wednesdays!

Cathy said...

Such a pretty make, and gorgeous details.
Thank you for joining in the Basic Grey Challenge this time.
Cathy xx

Andrea said...

Wow! Thanks for joining us at the Ribbon Girl this month, we hope to see you again soon