Thursday 14 April 2011

I Followed a tutorial …

CIMG2219

Whilst posting a distressed card to the Simon Says Stamp and Show blog for the first time the other day, I happened to notice a thumbnail of a gorgeous card by Nona. I visited her blog and really admired the card .. . the stamp she used had caught my eye as I bought the same set a couple of weeks ago, and also I loved the techniques she used. I saw she had followed a tutorial by Shari … so I went and had a look-see.

Having seen the tutorial I just had to have a go myself … I have recently bought a small number of distress inks, and am also loving the soft wildflower style of stamping right now.

The following card is my interpretation of the tutorial – I have followed the basics but have used a different script stamp (ie the one I have in my stash  lol!) and also changed the flower stamp for a Penny Black brushstroke stamp so that I could enter it for the Penny Black blog challenge :-) Instead of a linen background stamp as used in the tutorial I used a set of distress aged marks, and stamped them both onto the image and the base card to give an aged look. This is a bit of a new direction for me but I’m liking the change.

CIMG2219

Recipe:
Main image: Penny Black “Quite Dandy” inked and misted with distress inks in Tumbled Glass, Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain; matting distressed with Tim Holtz distressing tool;
Background stamping: Crafty Creations script stamp embossed with white detail powder: “Butterfly kisses” random markings stamped with antique Linen distress ink;
Sentiment: Penny Black transparent set “Salutations”;
Supplies: ribbon and pearls from my stash.

CIMG2222

Challenges:
Simon Says Stamp and ShowDistressing (2nd entry)
Truly Scrumptious #55 - Vintage
Penny Black Blog ChallengeFlowers (use a floral stamp)
Crafters Companion #11Aqua and Brown
Crafts & Me #30Ribbon
Totally StampaliciousAnything Goes

Hope you like it :-). I’m not sure about the card blank, and have already thought of some very subtle brown and aqua paper I have which I would use next time, but I’m quite pleased with this stamping technique for my first attempt.

Right … now this is my first ever Windows Live Writer post … looks perfect in the preview window … so here goes, fingers crossed!!

7 comments:

Helen said...

Beautiful card Pauline...I'm loving your latest flower cards...so delicate & pretty! :0)
Helen x

Nona said...

Wow, your take on the technique is absolutely lovely, Pauline! I really adore the soft colors and distressing. Very shabby chic! :)
I feel so honored to have inspired you. This really made my day. Thank you for the mention :)

Good luck at the challenges!

xoxo,
Nona

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a change Pauline but a very successful and beautiful one indeed! I love the soft and delicate shades and the stamps are perfect. xxx

Riet said...

So gorgeous Pauline.

Hugs Riet.xx

Nancy Wethington said...

Pauline, this is beautiful. Isn't it so nice when we can share techniques? I love that about this craft. Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

Beth said...

Ooh, such a soft and pretty card Pauline - perfect for the season! Thanks for the tip too, I'll go and have a little snoop! Thanks for joining in with the Truly Scrumptious Challenge!

Love Beth xx

crafty amy said...

This is gorgeous what a great technique :D
Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafts and Me this week. Good luck.

Hugs

Amy xx