Saturday 7 May 2011

Penny Black Saturday #150 - Distressing

CIMG2343 closeup
Good morning all, and welcome to another Penny Black Saturday Challenge. It was wonderful to see all your milestones cards last week, and special thanks to those of you who made cards for me to help me celebrate my 50th birthday last Wednesday :-) Don’t forget to check the main challenge blog to see if you have won last week’s prize.
Before we get on to this week’s challenge we have some exciting news – we have two new members of the Design Team … so hope you will give a big welcome to
Helen
and
Ali
They are both fab girlies and big Penny Black fans who make gorgeous cards … so you’re all in for a treat!
On then to this week’s challenge, and the theme this time is
Distressing
As always you can interpret this however you like as long as you submit a new piece of work, using a Penny Black image, large sentiment or stickeroo as its main focus.
We have two fabulous prizes for randomly drawn winners this week … firstly from Penny Black

Penny BlaCK
… this adorable stamp – 4054K  “Gentlest Kiss”
gentlest kiss
..and secondly from The Ribbon Girl

ribbon girl
10 bundles of seam binding of the winner’s colour choice – wow!
This week’s challenge theme made me start thinking of vintage styles and colours, which was brilliant as it gave me opportunity to use some of the goodies I received from bloggy friends for my birthday! :-)
CIMG2340
I have actually used a number of distressing and related techniques on this card.
First of all I embossed my script stamp onto card with detail white powder, then I created a distressed background using antique linen and tumbled glass distress inks daubed onto an acrylic block and spritzed with water before stamping onto white card. I “aged” the background a little more by stamping age spots onto the image using antique linen distress ink; then I stamped my main image twice using tumbled glass and peeled paint distress inks spritzed with water.
I distressed the edges of my image using my Tim Holtz distressing tool before mounting it onto brown card with deckle edges. I used BasicGrey papers and Prima hydrangeas kindly sent to me for my birthday by Laurie; and yummy chocolate coloured ribbon (or is it seam binding?? .. whatever, I love it!) from Helen – thanks so much to you both! My papers already had a distressed inked-edges kind of look, but I further distressed my darker paper by inking the edges and deckling the edges.
CIMG2343
Recipe:
Main image: Penny Black “Quite Dandy” inked with tumbled glass and peeled paint distress inks;
Background stamps: Crafty Individuals script stamp; Butterfly Kisses age spots;
Sentiment: Penny Black transparent set “Salutations”;
Papers: BasicGrey “Capella” from Laurie;
Supplies: Prima hydrangeas from Laurie; cherry blossoms from Wild Orchid Crafts; pearls from The Hobby House; ribbon from my friend Helen; dragonfly brad and lace from my stash;
Tools: Leone Em “Ash branch” leaf punch.
Challenges:
Cute Card Thursday #163I Love Chocolate A Lot! PaperPlay #18Show Us Your Style
(I love lots of lace and flower embellies and also brushstroke stamping)
Creative Inspirations #110 - Embossing
Raise The Bar #65Flower Power
Crazy4Challenges #86 - Flowers
Really Reasonable Ribbon #23Use 2 ribbons, laces or trims
Stamp With Fun #109Lace or Ribbon
Kaboodle #65Embellishments beginning with a “B” (brad, bow)
Allsorts #102Stamp A Lot (use 3 different stamps)
Secret Crafter #133Dust Off Your Stash
(old stamps and dragonfly brad)
Papertake WeeklyAnything Goes
Top Tip Tuesday #32Open Challenge
That’s all for today – hope you can join us and have a great weekend!

25 comments:

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

This is delish Pauline. I love it. Thank you for the lovely welcome :D I'm so excited to part of the team

Ali x

Tasha said...

Wow Pauline what a beautiful card. Such gorgeous colours and the effect is wonderful
love tasha xx

Charlotte said...

Oh my, this is just drop dead gorgeous! I love the embossing! The colors are beautiful and the flowers just give the card the perfect touch!!!

Helen said...

Beautiful card Pauline...love the vintage feel!
Lovely to see you enjoying your birthday pressies too! :0)
Helen x

Helen said...

Oops...realised as I clicked the button that I'd forgotten to say:

Thanks for joining us at the SCSC!
Helen x

ribenaruby said...

Hi Pauline, this is lovely and the variety of work gone into this is great. Hoping to join in this week, missed the last one and your big birthday, hope it was a good one! Wishing you a fab weekend. Ruby x

Curly said...

Wow Lovely card very vintage I love the distressing looks fabulous,

Thank You for taking part at Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge: 133 Dust off your Stash/Something Neglected

Good luck with the challenge,
Hugs Bridget :) x.
SCSC DT

Jane (Carroll's Creations) said...

Beautiful! Love the vintage feel to the card

Thanks for joining our "Dust off your stash" challenge on SECRET CRAFTER SATURDAY CHALLENGE :)

Hugs Jane x

Mummylade said...

what a fantastic creation, love everything about it! Thank you so much for entering our Allsorts challenge this week and good luck!

downrightcrafty said...

Hi Pauline, gorgeous and definitely should not be neglected super creation
thank you for sharing with us at the SCSC
Hugs Kate xx

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness Pauline!!!! This has to be my favourite card of all; I adore the colours and the whole composition. Wonderful!! xx

Debs said...

Stunning card Pauline
Love the detail and the beautiful colours.
Thanks for sharing it with us at Allsorts this week.
Good luck.
{{Debs}} xx

Wanda Cullen said...

Love your vintage style card with all the distressing and gorgeous lace! Thanks for playing along with us at Raise the Bar!

yvon said...

So absolut beautiful Pauline. Just gorgeous.
Hugs, Yvon

uksharon said...

Fabulous distressing, great card.
Thanks for joining us at PP this week.
Best wishes, Sharon

NGCARDS said...

This is a lovely card hun xxx

debby4000 said...

Oh this is stunning Pauline, wonderful details.
luv
Debby

Liz McGuire, said...

Your card is beautiful, love it!

Liz x

Kath Stewart said...

beautiful distressed card pauline..love the soft colours...big hugs kath xxx

sparklygirl-Tina said...

Hi Pauline

Where do I start what a totally fabulous card - love everything about it! Thanks so much for joining us this week over at Kaboodle Doodles and good luck.

Tina

Stampin Mindy said...

This is beautiful, I love the way you did the embossing. What a stunning card!

Thanks so much for joining us at Cute Card Thursday!

Hugs, Mindy

Angi Barrs said...

Love those ribbons. Thanks for playing at Really Reasonable Ribbon. :)

Francesca said...

Beautiful card

Thanks for joining us at SECRET CRAFTER this week and good luck!

Hugs
Francesca

Cheryl Walker said...

Beautiful card! I love all the details on this!
Thank you for joining us this week at Really Reasonable Ribbons Double Dutch Challenge!
Hugs,
Cheryl

Kaz said...

Ooooh this is gorgeous! I suddenly have a craving for chocolate, could it be due to the delightful colour combo on your card?
This just oozes yumminess.
Hugs
Kaz xx